Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Leafs Win - Fans Off Suicide Watch

Fans of the Toronto Maple Leafs will once again be allowed to use sharp knives and hospitals in Ontario are no longer expecting mass suicide attempts after the Leafs beat the Anaheim (no so mighty) Ducks earlier tonight.

Any hockey fan knows that the Leafs were off to their worst start in franchise history having gone 0-7-1 to start the season. But they've been playing a little better the last couple of games and they finally broke the goose egg before the first month of the season had ended. I think they owe it all to the dodge-ball practice.

As I've documented many times before on here, I am a lifelong, die-hard Montreal Canadiens fan. As such, I am legally required to hate the Maple Leafs. But as a kindhearted individual, it's not in me to beat a team when they're down. OK...that's a lie.

In all honesty, I felt sorry for Leaf fans during this opening stretch despite the negative comments I've still been hearing from them regarding my Habs...who by the way are above .500 and are currently on a four game winning streak.

But even as those Leaf fans felt the need to lash out and deflect their insecurities at the fans of Montreal and Ottawa, I could still sense their despair and see the emotional toll the futile start was inflicting on them. I even took it upon myself to not kick them when they were down. It was just to easy. I was, I guess you could say....the bigger man.

However, I'm sure this first win of the season will only revive the hopes of those in Leaf Nation and they'll be back to their usual friendly but annoying selves before the sun rises tomorrow morning. Lord helps us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment