Monday, September 13, 2010

It's Election Season....Yawn!

The last time I was excited for an election was in 1986 when I was running for President of my high school, which I won by the way. I didn’t make any crazy promises that I knew I wouldn’t be able to keep. Instead I just promised to try and make school a more fun place to be, and I think I accomplished that with more school functions, spirit weeks, pep rallies and dances. Plus we tried to have a positive impact on the community and the world around us.

One of my happier moments came during the Rick Hansen “Man in Motion” tour when we quickly raised several thousand dollars and I was able to present the cheque to Rick as he came rolling by the school. At Christmas I dressed as Santa and visited lots of kids at many of the local Elementary schools. I remember at one point one of “Santa’s” white eyebrows came off revealing my brown one underneath without me knowing. A little girl on my lap asked why I had one brown and one white eyebrow. Thinking as quickly as I could I explained that due to the lack of snow on the ground, the reindeer kicked up some mud when we landed and it I didn’t have time to clean it all off. I think she bought the story.

In recent years I just haven’t cared about elections at any level of government because I figure I’m going to get taxed to death regardless and my opinions really don’t matter to politicians. They just say and do what they want anyway once they’ve been elected.

The upcoming local municipal election which should be of interest to me has nothing interesting to offer and to be quite honest, as someone who always votes, I just don’t see the point this time around.

I actually know many of the candidates personally but when you live in a town where those with money control what “really” happens, it seems pointless to cast my ballot. It’s not that I don’t respect these people. I appreciate that they are serving their community and give their time to sit on committees and council to try and effect change for the betterment of our city.

Honestly, I don’t know what I expect from these people but I certainly don’t expect much. At the local level I suppose as long as the infrastructure like roads and sewers are being upgraded and I can see or know that some positive work is being done, that’s all I can ask for. Of course, the street I live on has been desperately in need of resurfacing and new sewers for many years. I had been told the work would be done this summer but it never happened. I have since been told that it will now be done in 2011. We shall see.

On the Provincial level I don’t have a clue who I’ll vote for next year. One thing is for sure, it won’t be for the Liberals as Dalton “Pinocchio” McGuinty has got to go. I’m ashamed to admit that I actually voted for the Liberals the last time. When McSquinty campaigned and promised to not raise taxes if elected and then once elected the first thing he did was raise taxes…he angered a lot of people.

The guy I feel sorry for is the local MPP (Member of Provincial Parliament) who I actually know and like and would support again but by voting for him I’d be voting for McTaxy and I refuse to do it. So I will be voting in that election but I’ll be casting my vote for anyone but the Liberal party. Sadly the alternatives are limited there.

The alternatives at the Federal level are even more limited. Prime Minister Stephen Harper and the Conservative Party still seem to be the lesser of three evils. I don’t live in Quebec or I’d say four evils with the addition of the Bloc Party.

The Liberal Party is being led by a guy with about as much charisma as a stick. In fact he makes Prime Minister Harper look like a party animal. Add to the fact that he seems shady and untrustworthy and it’s not hard to see why the Conservatives should feel pretty comfy once the next election call takes place. As for the NDP’s, do they even have official party status anymore?

When it comes right down to elections, you’re damned if you do and you’re damned if you don’t vote. I always say, if you don’t vote then you don’t have a right to complain and if there’s one thing I like to do, it’s complain. So you can bet I’ll be grabbing my voter card and heading to the nearest polling station come Election Day and casting my vote for whoever has angered me the least over the last few years.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:05 pm

    The Conservatives are the USA,s Republicans. Actually worst since their hidden agendas are religious based out of ultra conservative people in southern Alberta who still think they are living in the 16th century. Much like Iran!
    It scares me to think what Canada will be like if they get a majority government. But then again I guess those who vote for them only have themselves to blame. Good thing we have the citizens of Toronto and Quebec who truly want this nation to be Liberal. Keeps conservatism at bay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the great thing about this country, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I don't have to agree.

    I don't support one party over another with any amount of loyalty. I think they're all full of crap at the best of times but we can only look at the options we're given and make decisions based on what we see.

    Right now, I don't see much hope with the Liberals. They're a lost party with bad leadership and have been for quite some time now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:22 pm

    Harper is not a Leader. He's a dictator, a control freak, and a micro manager. He has his whole caucus afraid to say a word unless it's cleared through him and his close buddies. Look what happened to Helene Geurgis. Kicked out for doing absolutely nothing wrong and on hear say. What kind of leadership is that? Oh ya, I mentioned it above.
    I'm surprised she didn't cross the floor and become a Liberal.
    The Liberals may not have the greatest leader but it sure beats a dictator. Besides, how do you know Ignatief wouldn't be an effective leader. He hasn't had a chance to lead the country yet. Give him a chance, if he fails then you have proof. Unfortunately you've made up your mind about his leadership abilities without giving him the office to prove you wrong or right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you suggesting that a dictator can't be a leader? I'm not saying I'd approve of living under a dictatorship (which we don't by the way) but Harper is by far the best option we have as a country at this time.

    You say, "The Liberals may not have the greatest leader". I'm glad we can agree on one thing.

    You are correct that Ignatief hasn't been given a chance to prove his leadership, but is that a valid reason to make him PM. I've never been the leader of the country but do I deserve the chance? Not bloody likely.

    Lets see if he can lead his party for a while first before we hand the country over to him.

    On the Provincial level, I actually voted for McGuinty in the last election. I won't be making that mistake the next time. Well, that is if I'm able to vote and haven't died of starvation from having to pay so many taxes prior to the election.

    Having said all of that, I do appreciate you taking the time to read my blog and share your comments.

    ReplyDelete