Thursday, January 27, 2011

Best Music Video EVER!

I miss the days when you could turn on Much Music and you knew you were going to see an actual music video. I suppose the same thing goes for MTV in the U.S.

Back in the 80's when these two channels came on the scene they were driven by the music video and to be honest, there have been some amazing, groundbreaking, controversial and technically stunning music videos over the years.

When I think back to my teen years and the hours I spent watching Much Music and the videos, I think of it not as time wasted but as the soundtrack of my youth.

The first video that really peaked my interest was by the Canadian singer, Gowan and the song "A Criminal Mind". As it turns out, it's still one of my favourite songs by a Canadian but the video sold me on it. "Money For Nothing" by Dire Straits was another cool video back in the day and arguably the best of all-time is probably "Thriller" by Michael Jackson.

Of course there were some duds in there as well. Among those I'd include the group Right Said Fred with "I'm Too Sexy" and Bobby McFerrin's "Don't Worry, Be Happy" to name just a couple. Honestly, there are just too many to mention.

One video was filmed not too far from where I live and is by the Canadian band Honeymoon Suite. They shot the video in Prince Edward County in Ontario and at Sandbanks Provincial Park. The song was "Wave Babies" and it starts off by taking a ride on the Glenora Ferry which of course is still in operation today.

But on rare occasions a video comes along that just makes you stop and stare. You become transfixed by what you're watching and no matter how hard you try, you just can't look away. Such a video came along in 2004 and it has the rare combination of falling into the category of being just an awful song with a compelling video. Have a look at it for yourself and see if you agree. I give you Eric Prydz with "Call On Me".

No comments:

Post a Comment