Sunday, September 29, 2013

Fox On The Run


Red Fox Resting
Originally uploaded by *Bundy*
As I continue to work at losing weight one of the activities I've relied on to help in the process is just to simply walk as much as I can when I can.

Most days my walking involves putting on my workout clothes, running shoes, iPod for music and as quick a pace as my large legs and body will allow me. I can usually work up quite a sweat.

Some days I'll just walk three or four kilometres while other times I'll find more energy and walk upwards of 10 or 11 kilometres. My theory is if I walk a long distance away from my starting point, I'm forced to walk all the way back.

There are other times when I don't want to be nearly as active but still want to go for a leisurely stroll. On these occasions I'll typically take my camera with me and stop along the way to take the odd photo if something catches my eye. It's certainly not an intense walk by any means but it's still some light activity.

This past Friday afternoon I decided to go for a short lazy walk with my camera. I had walked along a trail in Presqu'ile Provincial Park and was nearing the point where I would circle around and head back to my car.

I had spotted an interesting flower growing just off the trail and was bending over to take a picture when I heard a noise behind me. I turned around and saw a Red Fox come out of the woods on to the trail only six feet away.

The fox didn't seem to be bothered by me in the least and began wandering up the trail I had just completed. I'm not one to let a potential photo opportunity pass me by so I decided to alter my planned route and followed the fox back in the direction I had just come.

As the fox trotted along I did my best to keep it in view and at times found myself jogging to keep up. I lost sight of it a couple of times but eventually saw movement ahead and spotted it again. It remained on the trail for quite awhile which made it easier for me to follow.

However, the fox did finally veer off the path and began making it's way into the deeper underbrush and forest.

I didn't see any immediate danger in following him so I left the path as well while carefully scanning for Poison Ivy, downed trees, holes in the ground or anything else that could cause me problems.

After about 10 minutes of going through ferns and cobwebs the fox finally stopped and made a meal out of an unfortunate chipmunk. The fox made short work of the little furry animal and swallowed him bones and all.

After his meal the fox found a spot to lay down and rest. At times it had its head down burried in its body trying to nap. I took well over 100 photos of this cute animal that still didn't seem to care that I was near by clicking away.

Eventually I ran out of time as I had to be back to go out for supper so I left the fox snoozing in the same spot as I walked away.

It was a neat experience and I was thrilled with the images I was able to capture of this local wildlife.

No comments:

Post a Comment