Monday, February 24, 2014

Golden Boys Again

Canada - 2014 Olympic Gold Medallists
 I love the Olympic games both Summer and Winter. For two weeks I'm glued to the television watching and cheering our Canadian athletes as they do their best to win a medal and represent the country on the world stage.

The past two weeks with the Winter games in Sochi, Russia were no different. It didn't matter whether it was the traditional events like Speed Skating or newer events like Snowboard Cross, I was hoping for the best for our men and women wearing the Maple Leaf.

But I can't lie, my main focus, was hockey. Like nearly the entire country I was glued to my seat watching both the Ladies team and the Men's team try to repeat as Gold Medal Olympic Champions. And I'm proud to say they were both successful.

The women played probably the most exciting game of the entire Olympics with a thrilling come from behind overtime win against the United States. I admit, I was just about ready to head out the door when the girls began mounting their unbelievable comeback and was glad I stuck around to witness the outcome. I've never been a big fan of women's hockey but even I was moved to tears by what transpired that day.

When it came to the Canadian men, I won't say I had my doubts about their talent but they did appear to be struggling somewhat right up until the semi-final against the U.S. and the Final against Sweden. That quickly changed as the team turned back to back clinics in how to shutdown their opponents. From the unbeatable play of goalie Carey Price to the rest of the roster, to a man they played flawless hockey and proved to the world once again that Canada is Hockey. We lay claim to the game for good reason.

While Norway lives and breathes Cross-Country Skiing and the Netherlands dominates Speed Skating, the rest of the world knows that Canada is a hockey nation. And while we may have moments when we falter because we can't play our best players, when we do dress our top team, we are unbeatable and damn proud of that fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment