Thursday, March 19, 2020

Get Away From Me!

It doesn't take much to realize our world today is much different than it was a few months ago. Everything was holly jolly at Christmas but little did we know how quickly the normal day to day routine would change.

This COVID19 outbreak has turned the world and our lives upside down. If it hasn't for you, then I fear you're either part of the continuing problem or you'll have a serious wake up call before too long.

For some I'm sure self-quarantining is no big deal. If you rarely ever leave your home and interact with people in your normal lives, you likely aren't being too inconvenienced.

For someone like me, I prefer to be on the go either shopping or chatting with people here and there.

I don't mind being inside doing stuff but I can get the "Jimmy Legs" after a while and really desire an escape to the outdoors. Of course, being outdoors isn't really an issue, it's being around other people that is to be avoided as much as possible.

I think we've done a pretty solid job of that so far. I've quarantined my parents and I'm hoping their friends call rather than visit. Lee and I also limit our trips as much as possible. I encourage her to stay in and I volunteer to do all the shopping for us and my parents and when I return home I hose myself down with soap and hot water.

Yesterday when I was out to pick up a few things I couldn't help noticing how little traffic was on the roads. The fact so many places are closed likely has much to do with that.

It was also nice to see most people practicing self-distancing. Well, until they got in line at the checkouts. I was shocked at first to see how bunched together people were waiting to purchase their supplies. Do they think this is smart?

I tried my best to set a proper example but that went horribly. Standing in line at Dollarama I made sure to leave six feet between me and the man in front of me.
I thought this was going well until a woman moved in behind me and was about an arms length away and to make matters worse, she had a cough. I covered my mouth and kept my back to her to shield me from any possible sputum and also so she couldn't hear me cursing her under my breath.

It baffles me how inconsiderate or unaware some people are. I realize there are people who don't follow the news and don't care to be informed. Any other time I couldn't give two shits but when people's lives are at risk, your ignorance is not only embarrassing but it could also be deadly to someone. I won't be so nice next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment