Tuesday, January 16, 2007

To Diet or Not To Diet

That is a tough thing for me to consider. I really hate the word diet because to me it has seemed impossible. Well, maybe not impossible but certainly challenging.

I find myself wondering if I should give it another try. Sure my head is willing but I know I'm just setting myself up for failure one more time.

I've had some success in the past. Back in my senior years of high school I got serious for a few months and had some positive results. I was counting my calories and keeping a written record of everything I ate each day and how many calories I consumed. I can't recall what I set my limit at but I believe the most I was allowed in one day was 1400 calories. Heck, I can consume that many in one meal if I wanted to. But I stuck to it and I had some results. Now I see if I tried that, I'm actually allowed to eat a lot more calories and still be able to lose weight. There is a God!

I've never been one to weigh myself either. I have a rough idea or guess at how much I weigh at this very moment and it lets just say you don't want to try and lift me. Even when I was on that diet which was 20 years ago I didn't weigh myself, I was only concerned with how I looked and if I was looking thinner. I did lose some excess flab and people noticed which was positive but then I got off the diet. I don't recall why exactly but my grandfather passed away around that time and I took it pretty hard and that might have led to my relapse and return to my old ways.

Over the many years since then, I've had moments where I tried to control my eating habits and make some changes but they never lasted either. I'm not a Richard Simmons fan so you can forget about me Dealing a Meal or Sweating to any Oldies. I don't have anything against Billy Blanks but I won't be using Tae Bo anytime soon either. I'd probably pull my groin muscle if I tried a kick.

I'm not one who will join an aerobics class either. The last thing I want to do is be in a fitness club with all kinds of hot women in skimpy workout clothes doing lunges to crappy music. I do remember riding a stationary bike at the gym in college once and watching those ladies though. I worked up quite a sweat doing that.


No, if I'm going to take this seriously, I have to either do it my way or pay a personal trainer to whip me into shape, and I can't afford that. Actually, I don't eat a whole lot but the foods I do eat are not the healthiest. I don't think there's a diet where all you eat is pizza, meat and potatoes, French fries and Big Macs. I can't stand fruit. I won't eat any kinds of fruit at all. I wish I liked fruit because that would at least give me something healthy to snack on. So I just need to control how much I eat and when I eat it.

Exercise is my biggest problem. I don't get much of it at all. Even if I could get myself out of the house to walk around the block once a day, that would be something at least. But instead I park my butt in front of the TV or computer and come up with excuses why I can't go walking. It all comes back to willpower again. I need to get the willpower to force myself to do it. Either that or I need a 23-year-old beautiful blond to come and get me each day and be my walking and exercise partner. Yes indeed, that could be all the encouragement I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment