Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Black's Only School Decision

I'm white...Caucasian if you prefer that term instead.

I wanted to state that from the beginning so there's no confusion.

I certainly don't consider myself a racist but I may be guilty of a little racial profiling from time to time. Who isn't? Over the years I have had many good friends of all races, colours and religions. The world is a melting pot after all. To be honest, normally I don't see colour...I see stupidity and ignorance instead.

I don't care what colour you are or what country you come from...if you're stupid or ignorant then don't expect me to be too forgiving.

Having attempted to make that perfectly clear I'll move on to the topic at hand.

Earlier tonight, a proposal to create Canada's first black-focused public school was approved by Toronto District School Board trustees. They recommended the creation of an alternative school that features a curriculum and teaching environment oriented around black history and culture. The vote, which was very close, followed a debate on the controversial proposal, which critics believe is a plan for segregation, while supporters believe it could keep more black students in school.

Does anyone else think this is counterproductive to what black people fought for for so many years? And if you think all blacks in this school district are in favour of the idea, guess again.

Under the current guidelines set forth by the Provincial government, the school would have to be open to all students regardless of their racial background but do you really think that's going to happen? The main difference is the supporters feel with a more "black friendly" (my term) curriculum, the black students would have a better chance of staying in school and graduating.

I'm sorry...I went to school with several black classmates and they all graduated under the same guidelines and curriculum the white, aboriginal and asian students had to study. And do you know how they managed to succeed? They studied and went to class. They asked questions and did their homework. They didn't look for an excuse or blame the system. They held themselves accountable and graduated.

I don't think the current school system is failing these black students. I think they are failing themselves and perhaps their parents should shoulder some of the blame as well. Don't blame a system that works well for everyone else. Look inward and ask what you should or could be doing to improve.

There are so many temptations and distractions that can be used as excuses. It is the parents job to know what their kids are doing and to keep them in line and on the right path.

If you talk to any successful African Canadian or American and ask how they got where they are today, I'm sure they'll all answer "hard work".

By the way, I really dislike the term "African-Canadian" or "African-American". If you were born in Canada....that just makes you Canadian. I don't go around saying I'm Scottish-Canadian. Where my ancestors came from is great information for the family tree project but I was born here and Canadian is what I am.

What concerns me now is what can of worms have they opened? If Muslim students begin struggling, do they open up a school that will focus more on their culture? I'd say they have that right now that the precedent has been set. Where will it end? Schools for gay and lesbian students? Schools for pregnant teens? And lets not forget the aboriginal kids.

Don't even get me started on Black History Month. I'm not anti-black, I just don't understand why one group of people should be singled out over others. Where's my White History Month. How about the Caucasian Pride Parade in downtown Toronto in the summer? The history of the black people in North America is well documented but how long do we have to cater to them and apologize for what our ancestors did? Hell, my ancestors didn't do anything to begin with.

Sorry, I'm getting off topic.

In the end, I truly hope the drop-out rate improves among the black students in Toronto but I honestly don't think this little experiment is the answer. It isn't even a band-aid on the real problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment