Friday, May 30, 2008

Morning Glory

I like to sleep. I’d call it my “beauty rest” but lets be honest, by now I should look like Brad Pitt with all the sleep I’ve had over the years.

I was never a morning person. From the time I was going to school and college and then all the years I spent working the morning show for the local radio station, getting up before the sun was never my cup of tea.

I never saw any reason to wake up early on my days off. I was a night owl and still am. The only difference is now I’m finding myself out hooting at work until 7:00am instead of waking up before sunrise.

Why on earth would anyone want to get up early in the morning? What’s the benefit? Lets forget about work for a moment and assume you have the day off, you’re retired or it’s the weekend. What possible reason could there be to haul your butt out of bed before 6:00am?

I’ll be the first to admit that on a nice clear spring or summer morning, the sunrise can be very nice and often quite pleasing to the eye. But beyond that and maybe being a photographer and wanting to capture some photos with the early morning light, I just don’t see the benefit. You can only watch so many sunrises before the novelty wears off.

I see only negatives after that. The stores don’t open until around 9:00am so you can forget trolling the aisles of Zellers at dawn. The early morning television programs are just bloody awful. Once you’ve seen the news of the morning and the forecast once, you’re set for the rest of the day as they only repeat it over and over again. You can’t cut the lawn since all of the normal people are still in bed just like you should be.

Perhaps you’re one of those people I see on the way home from work who enjoy an early morning stroll for exercise. But for me, if it’s a choice between going for a walk or staying in bed and sleeping…sleep wins every time.

The only time I vacate my sleeping quarters on my day off by 6:00am is if I’m going golfing. But at least I have a good reason to wake up. But just getting up with no plans or need to makes zero sense to me.

At this time of year the sky starts to lighten up around 4:30am or a bit earlier and the sun is up by 5:30am or sooner. That makes for a bloody long day and there’s just too much TV you’d miss when you’re in bed for the night at 8:00pm.

No, I’m afraid rising early in the morning is a bit overrated as far as I’m concerned. I say let there be light…provided I don’t see it until at least noon.

No comments:

Post a Comment