Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Tough Day On The Slopes

I've never been much of a skier. Many years ago when I was in Public School, I went on a Grade 8 Ski Trip with my class and it was a fun time. I think the most memorable part of the trip was either sitting in the chalet playing Foreigner's song Urgent on the jukebox or seeing a kid I didn't really like taken way in an ambulance with a broken leg. Ya I know...I'm so mean, but I was just 13 years old at the time.

To be honest, I actually didn't mind the skiing and had some fun swooshing down the slopes and by the end of the day I had totally abandoned the "snow plow" method and graduated to something a little more progressed.

I also had cross-country skies as a youth but that was just too much work. I didn't want exercise, I wanted to glide across the snow. Eventually I didn't accomplish either as I broke both my ski poles and ended up walking in the snow. That was fun! (sarcasm)

As much as I didn't enjoy my skiing experiences, I don't think my troubles could even come close to comparing to this recent incident that will no doubt result in a lawsuit. At the very least the guy can claim emotional damage and embarrassment.

A skier at Colorado's ritzy Vail resort was left dangling upside down and pantsless from a chairlift on New Year's Day. The January 1st mishap apparently occurred after the 48-year-old male skier and a child boarded a high-speed lift in Vail's Blue Sky Basin. It would seem that the chairlift's fold-down seat was somehow not in the lowered position, which caused the man to partially fall through the resulting gap. His right ski got jammed in the ascending chairlift, and that kept him upended since his boot never dislodged from its binding.

The exposed skier was stuck for about seven minutes with his pants down, or up as the case may be, before he was rescued. The young boy also on the lift was fine but he said it was the strangest thing he'd ever seen....and he wasn't talking about the hanging guy.

OK...I made that last part up about the kid.

Now in case you think I'm making this up, here is the photo"graphic" evidence. You can click on the photos to see them larger.


No comments:

Post a Comment