Saturday, December 05, 2009

Give the Gift of Liver

It’s the Christmas Season which means a great number of us are in the “giving” spirit at this time of year. Perhaps you’ll be heading to your local box store looking to purchase a new fancy four slice toaster for your parents or the newest Donkey Kong video game for the kids. OK, I might be showing my age on that last one.

In these tough economic times it can put a strain on the finances when you have several people to buy for but when you see the smiles and know how much it’s appreciated, somehow it all seems worthwhile.

The giving doesn’t have to stop only on special occasions; you can give an even greater gift when your time on this earth has come to an end. I am of course speaking of organ donations.

The thought of parting ways with your most prized possessions such as your liver, heart, eyes or other harvested organs can seem a little morbid but it’s so much more than that. You could save the life of a complete stranger, improve their chances of survival or their improve life in general.

Several years ago my family had a scare when a growth was found encapsulated in one of my father’s kidneys. Luckily the doctor was able to remove the kidney intact and avoid any further problems. Dad had to make some changes and take some pills to ensure his other kidney would continue to function properly. It’s like flying a two engine plane…if you lose one engine, you can still fly but you have to watch that last engine and nurse it until the end of the flight.

It was a scary time and although I probably wasn’t going to be an exact match, I was prepared to give him one of my kidneys if it was possible. I wouldn’t have thought twice about it. It’s family and there’s nothing more important to me then family. Now, had it been someone I didn’t know or only knew slightly, I’d like to think I’d still be as generous but I honestly can’t say for sure. I like to think I’m a good guy but even I have my limits.

Of course live organ donation is different from donating your bits and pieces once you’re done using them. And giving organs to a stranger is something I’d have no trouble consenting to prior to my passing. But how do you do it?

It used to be when you received your license; you were also given a card you could sign stating that you were willing to donate your organs should an accident happen. I didn’t get one the last time I renewed my permit. Putting it in your Will won’t work since time is of the essence and most organs need to be harvested ASAP.

I visited the Organ Donation and Transplant Association of Canada website and found some good information.

1. It’s extremely important that you make sure your family knows about your intentions well in advance of your death, so that they will honour your commitment at a difficult time.

2. Download an organ donor card here – or call 1.866.949.0003 and ask them to mail you a card.

3. Complete the Donor ID Card and place it in your wallet alongside your personal identification.

4. Give the Donor Notification Card to your loved ones.

5. Depending on what province you live in – there might be further steps to take. For more information please call 1.866.949.0003.

The other question that remains is to determine which organs you’re willing to donate. Some people don’t like the idea of parting with certain items. I don’t know what they think they’ll need them for but I suppose for some, religious beliefs play a role. Ah yes, it seems like religion enters into almost everything these days. Luckily, I’m not an overly spiritual person.

Take it all I say. My eyes are pretty good right now and once you get through the ample layers of skin and flab I’m sure most everything else is working fairly well. I do have a slight heart imperfection but it’s still beating so it can’t be too bad. And my twig and giggle berries are only slightly used if anyone wants those.

Of course this topic is one that a lot of people like to avoid because they just don’t want to think about their own mortality. But if you can get past that, wouldn’t it be nice to know that your last act in this world was an entirely noble one. Not to mention a part of you will live on. That would be kind of cool.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:58 am

    I have carried my organ donour card for years but I think that now that I am 73 there may not be any organs taht may be of use to someone else.
    If all people were prepared to have their organs "harvested" upon dying there probably would be fewer people on waiting lists and fewer people dying because of lack of available organs.

    ReplyDelete