Saturday, April 10, 2010

Tattoos and Piercings On Women - Not A Fan

Women are beautiful!

Any man attracted to women will agree that the female form is a masterpiece and something to admire and appreciate. No matter the ethnicity or colour of a woman, if she's a beauty in the eye of this beholder, I think nothing is more attractive.

But something has happened in the last 20 years or so that I am not a fan of and that is tattoos and oddly placed piercings on women. I just don't understand why any woman would scar their bodies by injecting ink into their skin or by sticking things through their nose, lips or other body parts. It isn't attractive in the least and I'm sure their wedding photos will be something to behold.

Now I'm not saying that a woman who decides to use her body as a canvas or jewelry showcase is a bad person. On the contrary, I just don't understand why a woman would decorate her body like a Christmas tree. I understand that it's a lifestyle choice or a way to make a statement. I'm just not sure what statement you're trying to make when you have steel rods through your nose and lips or rings above your eyebrows. Do they have to remove those before going through the metal detectors at the airport?

Am I old-fashioned? Perhaps but strictly speaking as a single guy with my own personal views and beliefs, I think it's completely revolting. It's a good thing I don't have kids because I'd never allow them to have tattoos or piercings...aside from maybe the ears and belly button when they're older.

Is it a youth and rebellion thing? I will admit that as a young adult I had an earring in one ear. It was a peer pressure thing that I got sucked into and I had it for several years before finally getting rid of it. I thought it was cool but as I got older and more mature I realized it was anything but cool.

When I see photos or even witness first hand how far some of these women are willing to go I have to wonder if there's more to this than just a love of the art. It's one thing to have a small tattoo hidden someplace or a tramp stamp on your lower back but to cover your arms, back, chest, legs or other areas leads me to believe there are other issues at work.

What ever happened to wearing a T-Shirt if you wanted to make a statement? At least you could take it off at the end of the day. All of the women featured in the photos here are beautiful but the tattoos and piercings just don't do it for me.

It's a rare treat today to see a younger, attractive woman with zero tattoos or oddly located piercings. I congratulate them for not following this trend and resisting what I'm sure are numerous temptations and pressures to hop on the body art bandwagon.

In the end, my opinion is only that and a woman is the master of her own body and if she chooses to use it like a wall for a graffiti artist then so be it. It is her skin. I just think it will be funny when these young women start to age and all of that skin art begins to stretch and sag and her butterfly eventually starts to resemble an ugly wrinkled bat.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:53 pm

    I have to agree with you on this one Mark. I don't like tattoos on women either. I have two daughters and I forbid them to have tattoos until they are 19 years old. Then they can make an adult choice to do it if they wish. By this age they will hopefully have matured enough not sucum to peer pressure. My oldest daughter Kylie does not have a tattoo becuase she realized when she was 19 that this wasn't something she wanted, but a few years earlier, some of her friends got tattoos and she felt that she wanted one as well. She tells me, she's so happy that she didn't get one and that I was the reason she didn't and is very thankful for it.
    Also I know that doctors will not go through a tattoo to reach their spine with a needle for any type of operation or biopsy. So when women get the lower back tattooed, they risk of not have this luxury of a procedure that might one day save their lives. And I see a lot of women with Tattoos on their lower backs.
    They are so stupid...
    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill S.8:42 pm

    I agree with you Mark. I can see a woman having a tattoo made to obscure a skin deformity but not to hide that beautiful smooth skin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:37 pm

    I have to disagree with these statements. Have you ever asked a women as to why they have a specific tattoo, or why they have it in a specific place? Most of the time, there is a damn good story/reason behind their body ink. I think that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and it is wrong to judge solely from their appearance. I believe that the whole idea behind tattoos has really evolved, and most of the time women who are very highly educated and understand the concept of it being there "forever" still choose to ink their body, because it allows them to express themselves in reliving memories, some in which allow them to become better people. See, you really should inquire as to why they have them or if they have significance before judging these women.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand that behind every tattoo a woman chooses to place on her body a lot of thought and consideration has likely gone into it. It is their right to do so and I don't have a problem with that. I just feel that personally it looks dirty and ugly, especially in highly visible locations. That's my own opinion but I certainly respect a woman's right to get ink. That's their choice. I just so happen to think it looks awful.

      Delete