Friday, May 07, 2010

Wings and Breasts

All these years I’ve been writing this blog and not once have I talked about one of my favourite restaurants and the controversy surrounding it over the years.

Perhaps the reason why I haven’t talked about it is because there isn’t a franchise located within 100 kilometres of where I live. I would like to see that issue rectified sooner rather than later.

The eating establishment of which I speak is none other than Hooters.

OK, I know what you’re thinking and yes I do like it because there are usually some very attractive young ladies working as servers there but that isn’t the only reason. It’s just 95% of my basis for liking it.

Sure the gals in their tight uniform tops and skimpy orange shorts are easy on the eyes. Yes they are often times testing the strength of the fabric that contains their ample…assets, but just because they work there doesn’t mean they aren’t intelligent, educated women with more to contribute to the community than a bit of jiggle and some giggles.

When you think of Hooters you obviously think of the possible sexual exploitation of these women but when some feminist argues that they are being treated as objects, how come the girls working at Hooters don’t agree?

It’s a job like any other and the ladies who work for Hooters know full well that they’re not only selling food and merchandise, but they’re also selling themselves to some degree. They’re selling their personality, friendliness and looks and this can translate into more generous gratuities from their customers. This is no different than any other eatery.

While the eye-candy and décor may be nice, the food they serve must be tasty as well. Of course at Hooters you’re not going to get the same food you’d expect at a fine dining establishment. Instead, I’d say its quality is comparable to a Kelsey’s or Boston Pizza. The wings have always been a favourite of mine.

And for the record, I’ve eaten at both Kelsey’s and Boston Pizza and the female wait staff there can be equally attractive with a little less skin showing. But the sex appeal of Hooters is obviously part of the selling point and the experience you expect. And for that, I’m thankful.

Unlike those other restaurants, Hooters also creates a buzz with their annual swimsuit calendars, bikini contests, charity car washes and of course their huge beauty pageants.

But for some reason, Hooters has been looked down upon by the less open-minded members of our society. In this day and age I’m still shocked by how people can become flustered and upset by the female form and a bit of cleavage. I mean…come on…they’re only boobs for crying out loud! The only reason I’m attracted to them is because I don’t have any. Or at least mine certainly aren’t as nicely sized and shaped. In Europe it’s no big deal and here in Canada women are allowed to sunbathe topless if they choose…although most are still a bit too shy.

If I had the cash and opportunity I would love to own and operate a franchise in my area and I think it could do quite well. It’s an enjoyable family restaurant where anyone can be proud to stand and pronounce to the world…I love HOOTERS!

1 comment:

  1. Bill S.8:00 pm

    Mark, I hope you win big in a lottery and set up a couple of franchises: Trenton and Pickering maybe?

    ReplyDelete