Monday, November 15, 2010

Autumn in Canada

Crisp cool nights, the leaves changing colour and all that other happy crap that comes with the arrival of autumn in Canada.

No, this time of year isn’t my favourite season but as bitter as I seem to be about it, I’ve noticed this year more than any other, I actually hate it a smidgen less than usual.

Boy, you people are going to start thinking that I’m turning into a sour and cantankerous old man. The truth is…I’m not old at all.

I enjoy life but I’m not going to lie, I enjoy it a great deal more when you can actually feel the heat of the sun, the leaves are green, the tee times are abundant and women wear a lot less. Yes, I’m a lover of summer, among other things.

For some unknown reason however, this fall I am feeling less Grinch like about the changing seasons and inevitable arrival of old man winter. Autumn 2010 has been quite pleasant. The weather has been comfortable and rather dry for the most part which always puts a smile on my face.

I even found myself out on the golf course this past weekend in only a t-shirt. Yes, I was wearing jeans but no sweater which was wonderful. The latest I’ve golfed in Canada in the past was December 15th but that was several years ago when I was bothered less by the frosty temperatures. I did golf once on New Year’s Day but that was at a friend’s golf course and it was just after midnight using glow balls on the snow. Alcohol was involved of course.

The one thing I absolutely despise in the autumn is raking leaves. Every year we do it three or four times as some trees empty quicker than others. That was the case again this year but the purchase of a leaf blower that also mulches made the job so much more…I don’t want to say enjoyable, but less time consuming and back breaking. Money well spent.

Knock on wood, we’ve only had a few snow flurries so far but that will change soon enough I’m sure. The next task will be to decorate for Christmas. I’m not too gung-ho about that job either but I think the lights look nice once they’re up.

One thing I can’t stand is when people go crazy with their Christmas enthusiasm. I don’t mind people being excited about the season but don’t turn your yard into a toilet bowl in which Christmas threw up on.

A house in my neighbourhood takes it too far and the gaudy decorations make me ill. Oh sure I’m betting the kids like them which is fine but personally, it’s a bit much having 15 blow-up items cluttering the front yard. On the plus side, all of the vehicles that usually park on the lawn are now in the backyard I’m guessing. Yes, we do have rednecks in Canada.

Probably the best thing about autumn is when the grass stops growing. This year has been crazy. Cutting the lawn twice a week was common so it’s nice to have a break from that. The downside is that although the mower is put away, it’s been replaced by the snow blower which I’ve already had running in preparation of the unavoidable winter storms to come.

So I’ll continue to enjoy the season as best I can. Unfortunately that likely won’t be for long. I just checked the forecast and we’re looking at highs of plus 3 by the weekend with possible snow. Crap!

No comments:

Post a Comment