Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Continue Profiling, End the Groping

In a perfect and peaceful world, racial profiling wouldn’t be an issue because there would be no reason for it to take place in regard to concerns for safety and security.

News Flash! This isn’t a perfect world and if profiling leads security and anti-terrorism organizations to individuals who are hell bent on causing death and destruction before they’re able to reach their targets, then how can that possibly be a bad thing?

I understand that not every Yemeni, Arab or Muslim person is a terrorist but they shouldn’t be focusing their blame for being singled out while travelling on the security people. They should be angry with their fellow citizens of the same nationality who continue to pose a threat to freedom loving people such as myself. That’s the reason why they’re being pulled aside for secondary checks, interviews, body scans and explosive detection screening by national security agents (CSIS) in Canada and other similar organizations around the world.

OK, it’s not fair I’ll admit but who said life was fair. If the shoe bomb were on the other foot and it was Caucasian individuals flying planes into buildings, slipping on to planes with bombs or blowing up subways and trains, then I would fully expect the same treatment. I would be the person being scrutinized and picked out of the crowd when I travel.

That isn’t to say it doesn’t happen already. Just after 9/11 I was in New Orleans and before boarding my flight home I was checked with the wand twice and had to remove my shoes. I also had my luggage, both inside and out, swabbed down and checked for explosives. They don’t come much whiter than me.

Was I upset? Hell no, I wasn’t upset. We’re told to be at the airport three hours before our flight. This should allow plenty of time for not just the “profiled” people to be checked thoroughly but everyone boarding a flight. If you have nothing to hide then who cares if you get checked.

Where I do have a problem, and it sounds like I’m not alone, is with the new screening process in the U.S. whereby high school dropouts working as TSA’s are allowed to sexually assault you with foreplay to be able to pass through security. That’s right, they get to grope, prod and fondle you in search of anything dangerous. You can’t even have a cigarette when they’re done. If you choose not to have your naughty bits and pieces man-handled by Bubba, you can always select to have someone else scan your body with a machine that provides a strip search, without the dinner and a movie first.

Oh but these security officers are “rigorously trained to maintain the highest levels of professionalism.” What this really means is if the uniform fits and you can speak English, you’re qualified. A sexual predator has more training.

The really scary part is that kids are not exempt from this. Parents teach their children that strangers should not be touching them in their “special” places but I guess that doesn’t count for government approved workers. I’m sorry, call it what you will, but that is “sexual assault” by definition and doing it in the name of security is still wrong.

Why aren’t the same groups of people and organizations who get up in arms over Muslims being centred out for extra security scrutiny just as upset over the sexual assault of all passengers? I guess if it doesn’t only affect the visible minority it’s just not worth the trouble.

I suppose this is one of those, “you’re damned if you do and you’re damned if you don’t” scenarios. If we cut out the invasive security measures, the terrorists win. If we keep things the same, then I know I can just head to the airport when I’m in the mood for some random action with strangers.

2 comments:

  1. Debbie A10:11 pm

    This is such a tricky subject. Terrorists tend to use very young children and very elderly people as their decoys when carrying out a terrorist attack, Of course I am against young children being subjected to this kind of adverse treatment, but unfortunately terrorist acts tend to exclude no one. I travel a lot by aircraft and appreciate all and any attempt to make air travel safe for everyone. It's really the terrorists that we are angry with and not the authorities that are protecting us from these so called humans that threaten our every day lives. If September 11th taught us anything it is that none of us are safe from a terrorist attack...take every possible precaution no matter how inconvenient.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill S.4:23 pm

    I believe that Profiling should be allowed to be one of the tools for Security and Police to use to prevent any kind of serious crime.
    My wife and I do NOT fly and consequently the concerns about airport security do not affect us directly. But we do get upset every time we hear that another terrorist act has been committed - and in many countries.

    ReplyDelete