Friday, October 14, 2011

They Seem Smaller


Flying Tackle
Originally uploaded by *Bundy*
This past week I finally had a chance to get up to my old high school and check out some football action. Of course the last time I had the shoulder pads on was in October or November of 1986. Ya, I know I'm old(er).

Of course I brought my camera along with me to see if I could grab some shots of the action and I did.

I was hoping to see the senior football game as it's usually a bit better for photographing but it was the early game and by the time I got there after work, the junior team was already playing.

One thing I noticed right away was how small the players were. Some were really small compared to the others. I don't remember our team being that small when I was that age but maybe they were. I do know our senior team was much bigger. In fact, I think our offensive line (myself included) averaged about 240 pounds. We were a force to be reckoned with for sure.

Football was the only reason I went back to school for Grade 13 and a fifth year on the gridiron. I was quite emotional after the final game came to an end. The tears were flowing, partly because I knew I'd never play again and also because on the second play of the game I pulled my groin muscle and finished the game in agony. There was no way I was coming out of the game. The coach used a whole roll of tape around my thigh to help minimize the pain but it didn't do a whole lot.

I was quite some time recovering from that injury but looking back I know I made the right choice. I would have regretted leaving the game and watching from the sideline. Some great memories from those days.

No comments:

Post a Comment