Sunday, January 15, 2012

Me, Myself & I


Me, Myself & I
Originally uploaded by *Bundy*
I belong to an online photography challenge group where every week a new project is listed. In each project are the guidelines for the challenge. This could be a black and white photo, or landscape or more technical images using our Nikon cameras.

On the most recent challenge the subject was "In My Kitchen" where your photo could be anything, provided it was taken in the kitchen.

Rather than pull out the toaster or find something simple to just point my camera at, I decided to make the challenge even harder by challenging my editing skills as well.

I came up with the idea to photograph myself playing cards. But I didn't want to be playing solitaire so I had to create opponents. Nobody else was around so I decided to play against myself.

I took three separate photos (four actually but that version of me was blocked out by the me in the foreground) of me playing cards. As you can see in the image I even had wardrobe changes.

The hard part came next. I had to get all three images into one photo and make it look right. This was a challenge as I'd never tackled a project this complicated before. I'm sure for those with a lot more skill than me, this is a routine undertaking but I've never done much with layers and masking in Photoshop. It was a learning process.

After two days of trial and error, searching the internet for video tutorials and lots of cursing, I finally managed to complete the project as you can see. You can click on the image to see it larger on my Flickr page if you like.

Having done this once, I now have a feel for how it works and will look forward to trying it again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment