Wednesday, November 06, 2013

Lifting To A Healthier Me

Its been almost two weeks since I joined the local YMCA so I could work out and keep active during the cold winter months and I have to say, so far it's going pretty good.

Not knowing what it would be like I was rather oblivious to the rules, both written and unwritten surrounding life in a gym. Don't get me wrong, it's not a big deal and very reasonable and responsible. The simple things like wiping down machines after you've used them makes total sense. And I like that fact that this place is very clean and well looked after.

I honestly don't see what the big deal is with mobile phones though. They don't like you taking photos or using your phones in the gym. Granted, I realize there are creeps out there but some people rely on their phones for work or to stay in touch with family. I can understand them not wanting photos taken in the pool area, but if I'm working out and want to take a photo of myself using a machine, where's the harm in that? But I know it's easier just to make a blanket rule to ban all mobile phone use so there's no confusion. Truth be told, I see people using their phones all the time. It doesn't bother me in the least, provided you're not snapping shots of me in the shower.

A look at my progress so far.
As far as the actual workouts and exercise goes, I'm pleased with my efforts so far. I've been to the gym every day except one since I joined. I usually do intervals on the treadmill for 30 minutes to start each visit. I'll walk at 6 km/h and jog at 9 km/h, alternating between each one every few minutes. I'll also increase the incline so I'm always going uphill. I try to walk 3.5 kilometres and burn around 360 calories in the 30 minutes. I usually work up quite a sweat.

I'll then move into the strength training portion of my visit. I usually alternate between arms one day and legs the next. I'll also throw in some abdominal, back and shoulder work as well. The first couple of days I felt some pain using muscles I hadn't used in some time but to be honest, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

While I don't have any official routine, I have some favourite machines I use to work the muscles I want to target. Some day in the future I may target more specific areas but I just try to get in a good general workout.

Most days so far I just keep to myself but I have chatted with a couple of friendly and fit ladies and I've also run into a few guys I haven't seen in quite some time. It would be nice to have a regular workout buddy to help push each other but I'm doing pretty well on my own so far.

I'd like to keep going at least 5 days a week and take the weekends to rest if all goes well but of course other things come up that could throw a wrench in those plans. Like my eating, I'm trying to make going to the gym part of my daily routine and plan my days around it. So far it's going well.

No comments:

Post a Comment