Sunday, August 13, 2006

Boston Trip

I recently went on a trip to Boston with our local Junior Hockey team and had a great time.

It was my first time visiting the historic city and although I spent most of my time in hockey rinks or the hotel, we did spend one day in downtown Boston.

Here's a photo we took outside the original Cheers Pub on Beacon Street downtown and across from Boston Common Park.

I'd be lying if I said the walk to Cheers was a piece of cake because it wasn't. The bus dropped us off at Quincy Market which was filled with all kinds of stores and restaurants and another Cheers Bar that was made to look like the one on the TV show. However, that wasn't good enough for some of us. We needed to see the original bar which was called the Bull and Finch Pub and was the one the idea for the sitcom really came from.

It was probably the hottest day of the year as the temperature was a blistering 100F and I could feel the heat radiating off the sidewalks, cobblestones and pavement. I was dying before we even began. The distance one way to the bar was about 1.5 miles which isn't bad but we had to travel up and down Beacon Hill on Beacon Street in both directions. By the time we go there I was more then ready for a break and some air-conditioning.

The pub itself was quite small in the front but there was more seating upstairs and in the back. It was neat seeing the front of the building as we recognized it right away. Then we got to walk down the famous set of stairs into the bar. I could just imagine the other famous and historic people who have walked down those same steps over the years.

While there I managed to buy a couple of things for my dad and myself. We also took time to pose for a few photos to record the occasion before we started our journey back. The route also took us past the famous Boston Common Park which is quite huge and was filled with all sorts of people doing many different things. It was also interesting going by some of the old buildings and churches and seeing a couple of ancient graveyards right in the middle of the city.

The trip overall was well worth it. The visit to the city was exciting, the hockey was entertaining and the company was fun. I don't know if I'd ever go back just for a vacation but at least I can say I was there.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:39 pm

    my family used to own the cheers bar b4 it was called the bull and finch

    ReplyDelete