Friday, August 25, 2006

Hockey: Please Don't Change

Two teams strap on the blades and cover themselves in their protective gear as they prepare for battle on the frozen field. Back and forth they go, each struggling for an opportunity to give their team a lead while striving for a victory. Elbows rise, sticks slash, bodies are banged against an unforgiving wall but if the powers that be have their way, gone will be the one thing that truly makes the game of hockey the exciting sport it has always been.

I consider myself a hockey purist. Nothing thrills me more then seeing a team move the puck down the ice; completing the perfect passing play; finished off with a puck in the back of the net. Afterall, that is the object of the game...to score.

However, there has always been the game within the game. Teams genuinely disliking each other, players trash talking in the hopes it may give them an edge. And above all else, fighting was a part of the game. I say "was" because for some reason, the mama's boys in charge of overseeing our game have deemed fighting to be unnecessary.

I truly believe the smart people in control of the games destiny never actually played the game and can't understand why fighting should remain an important part of the sport. Honestly, when was the last time you went to a game and the fans booed because a fight broke out on the ice? I'm betting never.

Fighting has its place in hockey. As someone who has been around the game for a while, mostly at the Junior level, I have witnessed first hand how a little intimidation can turn a game or series around. Several years back a team I support was trailing in a series against a more skilled hockey club. After a bench clearing brawl took place and our team put the fear of the almighty in the opposition, they were done. They were skilled but after that they shied away from every hit and wouldn't battle for pucks in the corner. We ended up winning a championship that season.

Some would say it's a scare tactic that doesn't belong and to them I say grab your purse and spend your time watching figure skating instead.

Of course a donnybrook doesn't happen very often and I don't think it's something I'd want to see all the time. Ok, once or twice a year would be fun. No, I think every team should have two or three enforcers to get the job done. The problem is the enforcer is becoming a thing of the past because people think we need to see the smaller, faster, skilled players.

Call me crazy but I can remember watching plenty of skilled players long before the sissies took over running the show. Those players could either fight their own battles or they had teammates who would do that job.

Gordie Howe was one of the best hockey players of all time and he could take care of himself. Wayne Gretzky had Dave Semenko to protect him. Al Secord scored 30 goals and had over 300 penalty minutes in a season. Chris Nilan, Tie Domi, Tiger Williams, Dave Schultz and Tim Hunter all had high penalty numbers but still managed to contibiute on the scoresheet.

My point is, fighting and enforcers have their place in the game. It is a part of the sport I love and while I appreciate the skilled players like Sidney Crosby, Alexander Ovechkin or Joe Thornton, I still enjoy watching guys like Donald Brashear, Brad May, Chris Neil and Steve Ott drop the gloves and settle things like men.

Last thoughts...when was the last time you saw a player seriously injured from a hockey fight? Now think about how often you see players badly injured by high sticks. I ask you, what is the bigger fish to fry?

Here's a fight video I thought you might enjoy. If not, then I'll try and find some exciting curling action for you next time.



No comments:

Post a Comment