Thursday, October 26, 2006

Tim Hortons...Why Bother

For those who live in Canada, the words "Tim Horton's" is self explanatory. We all know it's probably the world's best coffee shop franchise and it's named after a Toronto Maple Leafs hockey player.

Actually, Horton wasn't just a Leaf as he also spent time playing for the Rangers, Penguins and Sabres. He was still playing for Buffalo when he tragically died in a single vehicle car crash while driving back there after playing a game in Toronto. He was 44 when he died.

The very first Tim Horton's store opened in Hamilton in 1964, ten years before his death. Interestingly enough, he was born in Cochrane, Ontario and that town didn't get their first Timmies until 1994. I found that to be be a little odd.


Of course today most towns and cities have numerous Tim Horton's coffee shops. In fact, let me do a quick count. Here in my small city, we have six of them.

Why are they so popular? Is the coffee that good? Perhaps it's just the social aspect of it. People like to gather at Timmy Ho's for a coffee and some gossip.


I'm not a coffee or donut drinker so I don't know the joy of ordering a medium "double double" and a honey-glazed. The same goes for the Timbits which can only be described as the donut holes for those who aren't familiar with them.

I've tried their sandwiches which are so-so but the one item I always get when I need to cure some hunger pains and Tim's is the only place near, is their chocolate chip cookies.

They can keep their peanut butter and their oatmeal cookies. I'll have the chocolate chip cookies please. Actually, I always order six of them at a time because it's cheaper.


However, I shouldn't say "always" since I can't always get them. And that brings me to the subject of this little musing.

I would say that easily, and I'm not exaggerating, 94.8% of the time I go to a Tim Horton's in my town, they never have chocolate chip cookies. It's so bad that every time I go in or through the drive-thru, I won't say, "may I have six chocolate chip cookies please?" Instead, I'll ask "Do you have any chocolate chip cookies?"


Most times they don't even have to check, the already know the answer and away I go. Of course, If I'm in the drive-thru I have to wait behind all of the coffee drinkers in their cars before I can leave.

I guess my advice to Tim Horton's would be this. If you're not going to keep the cookies in stock or a steady supply of freshly baked cookies on the shelves, then stop selling them because you're only teasing me.

Commonsense tells you if you're always running out of them, then you should probably make more because they're popular. Instead all you're doing is making people like me angry and I'm forced to go without my cookies.

And when I'm cookie deprived, you don't want to be around me.

Oh and one more thing...their "Roll-Up The Rim" contest is no damn good for people like me who don't drink coffee. So much for my chances of winning.

No comments:

Post a Comment