Friday, July 20, 2007

It's About Time Homer!

It has been 20 years in the making...OK, not really but The Simpsons first came to life in 1987 on the Tracey Ullman Show thanks to creator Matt Groening. Just two years later they had their own weekly sitcom and have been entertaining me and millions of other fans since them. In fact, it is my understanding that The Simpsons is the longest running prime time sitcom in television history.

I have been a fan of The Simpsons ever since I first saw them on the Tracey Ullman Show and have watched them faithfully ever since. In recent years I haven't been able to stay as loyal as I'd like but it is rare for me to watch a rerun and have it be the first time I've seen it.

In the early years the star of the show seemed to be Bart but my favourite and probably the most popular character now has to be Homer Simpson. He is a hilarious character and in a strange way, a good father as well. One thing Homer could never be accused of is being afraid to work. In fact, at last count Homer has had 118 jobs in the history of the show.

One main source for these jobs is in the episode "Papa's Got a Brand New Badge." Right before he goes to bed Homer tells Marge, "I’ve been a boxer, mascot, astronaut, baby proofer, imitation Krusty, truck driver, hippie, plow driver, food critic, conceptual artist, grease salesman, carny, mayor, grifter, body guard for the mayor, country western manager, garbage commissioner, mountain climber, farmer, inventor, Smithers, Poochie, celebrity assistant, power plant worker, fortune cookie writer, beer baron, Kwik-E-Mart clerk, homophobe, and missionary, but protecting people, that gives me the best feeling of all."

Of the remaining cast and recurring characters my favourites would include Mr. Burns, Moe Szyslak, Ralph Wiggum, Ned Flanders and his boys Rod and Todd, Apu Nahasapeemapetilon, Groundskeeper Willy, Sideshow Bob, Krusty The Clown and finally Lionel Hutz and Troy McClure (both played by the late Phil Hartman and no longer featured in the show).

Of course as a fan of the show, I have eagerly been awaiting a full-length feature movie based on the characters and the rest of the towns people in Springfield. That wait has finally come to an end as The Simpsons Movie is being released on July 27, 2007.

It took a long time but I'm finally going to get to see my favourite dysfunctional family and their wacky neighbours on the big screen. I'm a little disappointed the movie is only listed as 87 minutes long but hopefully it's entertaining and hilarious from start to finish.

Judging by the movie trailers I've seen at the theatre and on television, it won't be a disappointment. Below is one of the trailers for the movie for you to view. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment