Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Photographic Hobby

When it comes to hobbies or things I do to help make life worth living and more enjoyable there are only a few things I do to keep my sanity.

In the summer I enjoy golfing with friends. In the winter I used to enjoy helping out the local Junior hockey team but not this year so I'll probably spend more time at the computer which I also enjoy. However, recently I have rediscovered my passion for photography and this is something I can do year-round.

Back in 1989 I actually graduated from the Photojournalism course at Loyalist College and after a brief period of freelance work, shooting mostly sporting events and accidents, I lost interest. I just didn't enjoy spending hours in the darkroom with smelly chemicals and of course the money wasn't coming in as well as I'd hoped.

Fast forward to the present and my enjoyment for photography has returned. During that almost 18 year period the whole process has changed. Instead of chemicals, negatives and darkrooms you now have computers, software and endless possibilities in post production.

The cameras themselves have changed as well. Film is obsolete. The new digital single lens reflex cameras today are so good they actually produce better results than film ever could. Instead of waiting and working for hours to see your photos, it is now an almost immediate sense of satisfaction. Plus, with the ability to check the photos in the camera right away, a lot of the guess work has been removed.

Of course with all of the changes, I have to forget a lot of what I learned in college (not really a problem anyway) and teach myself as I go along.

I purchased a mid-range Nikon D80 DSLR camera back in December '06 and have been able to use it a little when time permits. I am really enjoying it and plan to find more time to get out and shoot as often as possible. I'd have to say nature shots are my current favourite but people can be fascinating as well and I hope to photograph them more as well.

Any way, below are a few of my recent photos and if you'd like to check out more, feel free to visit Bundy's Photos in the right column. You can also click on the individual photos to see larger versions.

Sun Setting At Presqu'ile
Presqu'ile Sunset

Wet Flower 4
Wet Flower

Storm Has Passed
Storm Has Passed

Canada Day 2007
Canada Day 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment