Monday, March 24, 2008

Clip of the Week - March 24/08

There's been a lot of talk about hockey fights this past weekend mainly due to the line brawl in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.

In that game the players on the ice squared off and eventually Patrick Roy's son, who plays net, went after the other goalie who wanted no part of it. To me this is a joke. If the guy doesn't want to fight then be a man and respect that. There was nothing to be gained by Roy to force the issue and ultimately he pummeled the poor kid into submission. I'll share with you a clip of that fight to prove my point. It should never have happened and Roy should be suspended. By the way, Patrick Roy was one of my all time favourite NHL players.

That isn't to say I'm against fighting in hockey. In fact, I'm all for it, provided the combatants are both willing and the situation warrants it.

Such was the case on Saturday night when Chris Simon & Jim Vandermeer went toe to toe during a very spirited bout between the two NHL tough guys. They were both willing and actually discussed it prior to the puck drop and resumption of play. I believe fighting has its place in the game and can be a valuable tool to allow the players to police the game themselves and make other players accountable for their actions. Some of the more recent rule changes have ruined the game in many ways.

I recently watched an old Canada Cup game and it was some of the best hockey I can ever recall watching. But if they were using today's rules, the game would have been non-stop penalties for hooking, clutching and grabbing and slashing. I miss the good 'ol days.

Chris Simon & Jim Vandermeer

Johnathon Roy & Bobby Nadeau

No comments:

Post a Comment