Friday, June 20, 2008

Spanks But No Spanks

Just when I think the boneheads in the Canadian government can’t get anymore foolish and the Liberal Party can’t shoot themselves in the foot anymore, along comes another policy or item to prove me wrong.

A proposed law that could see parents charged for spanking their children is heading to the House of Commons after clearing a major hurdle in the Senate. Are these idiots serious? Now they want to tell parents how they can discipline their children. As if the youth of today isn’t in bad enough shape as it is, now the government is going to step in and screw the future of our county up even more than they have already.

I say leave the parenting to the parents. Do we really need to walk down the aisle of Walmart and see more parents counting to three in a futile attempt to stop a four-year-olds tantrum. “Stop it or I’ll count to three. One….two…three….OK, I’m going to count to three again and hope you stop screaming this time.” What a farce!

Before you pass judgement on me, let me clarify what I consider to be spanking. I feel like somewhat of an expert having felt the “hand of dad” many times in my youth. There is a difference between spanking and beating and if you don’t think there is, then you likely have bigger issues that I can’t help you with.

A spanking is quite simply a last resort. It’s an open-handed smack across the buttocks of a child. The spank is not at full force but just hard enough to get the point across that if you misbehave, you have to expect a consequence. I have to wonder how many of today’s young criminals were disciplined with the “Timeout” method. Of course now they’ve moved from the “Timeout” to simply just “Doing Time”.

Children today and in days gone by who were spanked aren't spanked on a whim. They catch hell when they cross a line that first started with dialogue and ultimately came to the bottom line when the child failed to take note of the direction or warning. The misbehaviour we see today in some of our youth is in no small part due to the desertion of time-honoured methods of discipline.

I certainly do not condone punching, pinching, beating or hitting anywhere else and any parents that subject their children to this cruelty deserve to be jailed. Does the government actually think a new law will stop them from doing it? Child abuse is already illegal but it happens any way.

They don’t call a spank a “love tap” for nothing and parents should never spank simply out of anger but as a way to discipline bad behaviour. I knew when I was spanked that I had done something wrong and you can bet I never did it again. I’d also say I turned out free of any emotional scars.

When did the Liberal government decide that they have the right to tell Canadian parents how to raise their children? I'm not saying everyone should spank their kids. And I don't think spanking is the first option when disciplining your children. But I don't think the government has the right to dictate what happens inside the individual Canadian family. Spanking is not abuse and a simple smack to the bottom isn't going to scar a child for life but it might teach them to be respectful and responsible for their actions....something many of today's youth are sorely lacking.

So what is this proposed law exactly? Bill S-209, which needs House approval to be made into law, proposes to eliminate Section 43 of Canada's Criminal Code, which allows parents, teachers and caregivers to use reasonable force to discipline a child and correct their behaviour. Liberal Senator Céline Hervieux-Payette first introduced the bill in December 2004, shortly after the Supreme Court denied a challenge to Section 43 and upheld the right of adults to physically discipline children between the ages of two and 12.

The Senate mulled over the bill for more than three years and in response to concerns, the bill was amended to allow parents and caregivers to use force in very specific situations — such as when a caregiver wants to immediately stop a child who is about to do something dangerous that could cause serious harm. Routine discipline and using spanking as premeditated punishment wouldn’t be allowed.

When I read this and hear that the Liberal Party is supporting it, it makes my decision quite easy come next election. I used to vote Liberal but the same mismanagement and poor decision making that lost them the power in the House of Commons and led to their electing their worst leader in the history of the party…Mr. Stéphane Dion, will undoubtedly lose them even more votes. The Liberal Party is quite simply a sinking ship in my mind and by supporting this new proposed bill, they’re just crashing into another iceberg.

If spanking is as terrible as its opponents make it out to be, how did millions of kids in Canada manage to survive and grow up normally throughout the past decades when it was common? If society wasn't so laissez-faire, kids weren't taught rights without responsibilities, and parents weren't scared of discipline we'd have fewer cases of out of control kids getting into far greater trouble than those of previous generations.

I am getting sick and tired of the continual government invasion in my life. The Conservatives want to tell us how and when I watch TV, listen to music, use the internet, etc. The Liberals want to tell us how to raise our children. Personally, I think they can all go to hell. The sad part is none of these politicians will be around in another 40 years to see how badly they really screwed things up. The good news is the messed up and undisciplined kids today will have their own even more messed up and undisciplined kids to deal with in the future. I believe they call that “poetic justice”.

Now if you you’ll excuse me, I’m probably going to be in trouble for writing this so I’m going to discipline myself. I just have to decide if I need a “time-out” or a “3-count”.

No comments:

Post a Comment