Sunday, August 17, 2008

Hurricane Fay Hunting Florida

It hasn't been an overly active hurricane season so far but as we've seen in the past that can change in a hurry.

I never used to worry too much about them since I live way up here in Canada and only on rare occasions do we see any effect from them. It does happen though as we tend to get mostly rain events from them.

It can get nasty as well, such as Hurricane Hazel in 1954 which re-intensified unexpectedly and rapidly, pounding the Toronto region with winds that reached 110 kilometres per hour (68 mph) and 285 millimetres (11.23 inches) of rain in 48 hours. Bridges and streets were washed out, homes and trailers were washed into Lake Ontario. Thousands were left homeless, and 81 people were killed—more than 30 on one street alone.


I have family living in Florida with my brother and his wife and her family calling the Sunshine State home and that keeps me a bit more vigilant.

They've been pretty lucky so far as they've never had a direct hit to my knowledge but Fay could be different. The projected path currently has it hitting right near where they live South of Tampa and that probably has me more concerned than them. My brother doesn't usually get too excited about these things.

Hopefully the path will change prior to landfall on Tuesday night.


So I'll be keeping an eye on the news and weather channels as much as I can and on my cell phone at work. I might even have to give them a call just to make sure everything is OK.


Knowing Scott he'll be upset that I woke him up while his street is flooding and the neighbourhood trees are being snapped off.

UPDATE (7:22AM Aug. 19): Good news...the storm came ashore well below my family and wasn't a hurricane when it made landfall so it looks like they'll be spared once again. Hopefully their luck will continue until the season comes to an end and for many years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment