Monday, September 01, 2008

Intense Summer Storms


Summer Storm 1
Originally uploaded by *Bundy*
I feel sorry for those people dealing with hurricane season down south but they aren't the only one's dealing with some crazy weather this summer.

The summer of 2008 in my neck of the woods will go down as being one of the wettest summers ever.

Add to that the fact that we've had more intense thunderstorms than I can ever recall, it has been one wild summer season.

On average I'd say we might see two or three strong storms each summer with intense lightning. This year it seems almost every time we've had a storm roll though, which has been very frequent, it has brought intense lightning and heavy rain.

The storms we've had here in Ontario remind me of the type that blow in off the Gulf of Mexico when I'm visiting my brother and sister-in-law in Florida. The only difference is the storms down there don't last long. The thunderstorms here have lasted anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours.

One night I was at work and I sat and watched intense lightning striking the ground in all directions. Needless to say it was a tad unsettling.

The good news though is that the summer is almost over and the storms should be gone soon. Actually, I'd rather keep summer around and let the storms go on their own.

The downside to all of the rain we've had is I've never had to cut the lawn so much in my life and if the precipitation continues once the cold weather arrives....it could make for a very snowy winter.

Does anyone have a snow blower I could borrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment