Friday, November 21, 2008

Beam Me Up in 2009

I don't usually get too excited about upcoming movie releases. Rarely do I actually go to the theatre to watch a movie when it's first released. Today I usually wait until they're released on DVD before I'll see a movie I think I'll enjoy.

When I was younger I would go to more movies because it was something to do with your friends. I payed to see a lot of crappy flicks when I was a kid. A few that come to mind are Iron Eagle, Gremlins and Spaceballs. OK...Spaceballs wasn't great but it was damn funny.

It's so rare for me to visit a theatre to see a movie on the big screen that I have only been to two movies in the last five years. In 2003 I went on Boxing Day to see The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King and in 2007 I went to see Bruce Willis in Live Free or Die Hard.

As for what's in theatre's now or in the near future, there's only one movie I'd like to see and that's the latest James Bond thriller, Quantum of Solace. However odds are good I'll wait for it to come out on DVD as well.

As for movies that will be released in 2009, there are two right now that have me thinking I might actually spend the money to see them on the big screen. The first one is Tranformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen which is due out in June.

The other one surprises even myself since I've only been a casual fan of the TV series or the previous movies but this one looks interesting and could be quite entertaining.

I'm talking of course about Star Trek. The movie will chronicle the early days of James T. Kirk and his fellow USS Enterprise crew members. It looks to be full of action and will likely look better on a big screen. I'm not a Trekie but I think I would enjoy it. It's due out in May of 2009.

For a sneak peek of Star Trek...have a look at this movie trailer.

No comments:

Post a Comment