Saturday, November 08, 2008

Take A Moment To Remember

Tuesday is Remembrance Day here in Canada.

I hope you've been wearing your poppy.


It is a day to commemorate the sacrifices of members of the armed forces and of civilians in times of war, specifically since the First World War. It is observed on 11 November to recall the end of World War I on that date in 1918.

While any relatives of mine who served have passed away I do have a family friend who is nearly 90 years old and served in WWII. He doesn't speak about the war often but from time to time he will speak of some memories of that time.

Of course there have been many conflicts involving Canadians and the continue to fight and die for their country today in Afghanistan and other parts of the world.

Take a moment to remember them at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month.

Here is a video by Terry Kelly that you have most likely watched before but it's always worth watching again.

1 comment:

  1. This video actually reminds me of a personal experience, I used to drive truck long haul, and while driving south on hwy 400 north of Toronto, Ontario, November 11, 2002, i pulled my truck to the side of the road at about 5 minutes to 11:00 AM to pay my respects to those who have served our country. I was dissapointed and hurt that I was the only one to do so. as I re-started my truck and prepared to pull back onto the highway, I looked in my mirror to see a line of vehicles, all with their turn sinals indicating they were pulling to the shoulder, i was baffled, then a thought struck me, i quickly turned on the radio and got CBC radio. I turns out that my watch was a little fast..........I turned off my truck again and listened to the braodcast from ottawa of the service from the national war memorial in our capital, the playing of The Last Post, 2 Minutes of silence, and Reville, i am proud to say, that not one car past me on that often busy highway, they all had pulled to the side, and paid their respects, I easily pulled back into traffic, with tears in my eyes, and great pride in my heart, i was but one of many who truely were gratefull of the sacrifices made so long ago, and continue be made to this day by those serving.

    ReplyDelete