Thursday, May 07, 2009

I'm All A Twitter

The latest internet fad sweeping the social scene among nerds, techies, geeks and the curious is a thing called Twitter.

Twitter, according to the website itself, is a service for friends, family, and co–workers to communicate and stay connected through the exchange of quick, frequent answers to one simple question: What are you doing?

It's an extremely fast growing social media network with currently over 1 million members but this is expected to explode! The premise is to log on and leave a quick message of 140 characters or less that conveys what you're doing at that moment or what's on your mind.

I got sucked into the whole Facebook phenomenon when it started and still check into it at least once a day. I swore I wouldn't let the same thing happen to me with Twitter but low and behold, I'm now checking it a few times a day and leaving my own comments and thoughts.

I've even gone so far as to add a Twitter program to my computer that will monitor my "tweets" and the messages left by other friends and contacts that also take part. The program I use is called twhirl.

So why do I use Twitter? To be honest...I don't have the foggiest idea other than I'm a gadget and tech junkie and always have to try new things. It is used by celebrities as a way to promote themselves in a way they couldn't before and to connect with their fans. It's used by media outlets as an instant way to communicate with viewers for opinions on various subjects. If fact, just recently City TV in Toronto started to use it for their Breakfast Television program. They posted a question about a change with a recent Ontario law and I replied and they read my reply on air. It was kind of cool.

Twitter isn't for everyone but it's growing bigger every day so if you decide to give it a try, feel free to follow me. I go by bundyman.

No comments:

Post a Comment