Sunday, March 28, 2010

Classic Tunes That Should Never Be Covered

I love music. Well, I love most music. I'm not a big country fan but every now and then one or two will slip through and make it on to my iPod.

As a music lover there's one thing I absolutely hate and that's when new artists are so talentless that they can't write their own music and have to record another singers music from the past. Now if that original song sucked to begin with, then I don't mind so much. However, when some musical "genius" takes a classic song by a legendary artists that has no business being covered, that really irks me to no end.

There are too many songs to mention here that I feel should either never be covered or if they have already been destroyed, they should never be covered again.

The one song that I instantly think of that never should have been touched by anyone is "(Sittin' On The Dock) of The Bay" by Ottis Redding. Here's a song that is not only a classic but was recorded by a legend who died shortly after. Sadly it was later recorded by several artists including Glen Campbell, Percy Sledge and Willie Nelson, but when Michael Bolton recorded his brutal version that just about killed me. Even to this day when I listen to it I want to rip off my ears.

Another that comes to mind is one that my older readers might not know much about but for anyone who grew up in the 70's and 80's The Ramones were the leaders of the Punk movement and their song "Blitzkrieg Bop" was both influential and fun to dance to. It sickens me to see other groups taint the legendary status of this song but the version by Rob Zombie is just awful.

"(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" recorded by the Rolling Stones in 1965 is probably their most well known song and in the realm of rock classics, they don't come much better. Yet in 1977 the American New Wave band Devo did their best to kill this song.

The whole reason I thought this would be a good topic is because I heard one of my all-time favourite rock songs of the 70's was remade yet again and I believe it is one song that nobody should be allowed to touch. The song is "Stairway To Heaven" by Led Zeppelin. The sad part is that this song is probably one of the most covered tunes in history with at least 100 different interpretations but none compare or ever will compare to the original. The latest version, while being sung by a great female vocalist, still makes me want to cry...and not tears of joy. Mary J. Blige, while giving it her own variations, remained somewhat true to the original. However, I doubt she's ever seen a hedgerow in her life.

Like I said, there are so many classic songs that in my mind should never ever be recorded by anyone other than the original artists and I don't have the room here to mention them all since I've barely scratched the surface.

I think what really makes me shake my head in disbelief is how kids today hear the remake of a great song and they have no clue that another group or artist recorded it first. A prime example of that would be the song "Africa" by Toto which was recorded in 1982. It was recently redone with a modern twist by Karl Wolf. So sad.

If you think there's any other songs (I know there are) that should never be covered, please feel free to leave a comment and let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment