Tuesday, August 03, 2010

A Summer Hockey Break

We interrupt the summer of 2010 for this moment in hockey history.

The heat of summer has been getting to me and I'll admit, I'm going through a little hockey withdrawal with another NHL season still two months away.

I overheard some young men the other day talking about the Team Canada Gold Medal win at the past Olympics in Vancouver and they were saying it was the greatest moment in Canadian hockey history.

Now although it was a great game between Canada and the United States and will certainly rank as one of the biggest moments in Canadian hockey history, I can't say I'd agree with it being the greatest hockey moment for Canada of all-time.

OK, maybe for them it is because they're too young to remember some of the others or weren't even born yet so I suppose they don't have anything to compare it to.

For me, the 1972 series between Canada and Russia was truly a great moment in Canada's hockey history and I would say it most likely will remain the biggest moment of the sport for our country.

However, that isn't my favourite hockey moment. For me, nothing will ever top the 1987 Canada Cup and the final best-of-three game series between Canada and Russia which went the distance and included two overtime games before the deciding third game.

Not only was it thrilling to watch but the game itself was better officiated back then and players were allowed to get away with more which made it more entertaining overall. Of course I can still remember laying on the living room floor with my dad yelling at the TV and cheering as the game was tied late in the third period.

Our nervousness quickly disappeared as we watched Gretzky and Lemieux break out of their zone with about 1:30 left to play and we screamed and jumped to our feet when Mario snapped the puck home for the game winning goal.

That game and that series will always be my favourite Canadian Hockey moment. I just wish I could find all three games on DVD some place to relive the excitement and watch some legends on both teams play the game with passion, heart and guts.

Until I can get my hands on a copy, this goal recap from Game 3 will have to suffice. I hope you enjoy it.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:39 pm

    I couldn't agree more. It was a great moment but kids today that weren't around then obviously can't relate to it. That was an awesome series.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill S.8:33 pm

    OK, here is my second attempt to leave a comment.
    We know that you, Mark, are a great fan of hockey, NHL,etc. At one time, many years ago, so were we, my wife and I. That was at a time when there were SIX teams in the NHL and we knew all the players. We seldom missed Hockey Night in Canada. Especially with Foster Hewitt.
    But since the Enhanced/Expanded NHL we very seldom watch NHL hockey. But we missed very few of the Canada-Russia series. That video clip you included(thank you very much for it) sure brought back some memories.

    ReplyDelete