Monday, August 15, 2011

Lightning Strikes Twice


Lightning Strikes Twice
Originally uploaded by *Bundy*
I have been trying for a very long time to get some photos of lightning that don't suck. It finally happened for me on Saturday night.

Sitting by the campfire at Presqu'ile Park along Lake Ontario we watched during dusk as the storm rolled down the lake. Although we could see lightning, it was too far away to photograph.

Finally the storm got a bit closer and the group decided to head for our respective trailers and call it a night.

My night was just beginning as I set up shop under the awning with my trusty tripod and Nikon. Just as I was ready to start shooting, the lightning had moved off. I figured I had missed my chance.

I decided to change my focus to the light rays coming down from the cloud covered full moon. Some of those shots turned out pretty good but I was till disappointed I didn't get my elusive storm photos.

All of a sudden there was a flash in front of me and a crack of thunder. Holy crap, another storm front was moving in and I had another chance. I didn't waste the opportunity.

I managed to get four or five impressive shots of the lightning as it struck the lake and near the lake shore. I was a very happy photographer.

In this particular image you can see the lightning has broken into two separate strikes from one bolt.

On a night when I figured my camera would stay in the car, an unexpected opportunity popped up and I was glad I had the tools handy to get the job done.

No comments:

Post a Comment