Monday, August 08, 2011

Milky Way Lake


Milky Way Lake
Originally uploaded by *Bundy*
I'm enjoying some time away from work right now and one of the things I don't have time for when I'm working is my photo hobby.

So I'm trying out some different things with my new Nikon D7000. One of the reasons I bought the new camera was for it's ability to take better long exposure photos and shoot images at higher ISO's with less noise. Those of you who dabble in photography will know what I mean. It's a pretty big deal.

Anyway, I had a clear night at the trailer next to Lake Ontario the other night so I popped my camera onto a tripod and started experimenting and this was one of the resulting images.

In the photo you can see the lake and the orange / yellow glow of the lights of Rochester, New York reflecting off the clouds. You can also see the Milky Way and a whole pile of stars. At the top of the image you can also see two lines crossing in the night sky. Those are actually satellites that are orbiting the earth that happened to be going by.

It's experimenting like this that leads to interesting results and what I enjoy about my photography hobby.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:10 pm

    Nice Pic. If your thinking of doing this more often, I would suggest taking a number of images all around 15-30secs and stacking them. Raw works best, and then visit http://www.jamesvernacotola.com/Resources/How-To-Photograph-Star-Trails/12233655_6n3up

    Great tutorial. I've been doing this for years at Charelston Lake, north of Kingston. REALLY dark up there, and a great group of regulars who shoot nothing but sky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. It's something I've wanted to try for a long time.

    I always shoot RAW and have thought about trying the star-trails photography but time is always a factor. I never seem to have enough of it. :-)

    Thanks for the link. I'll give it a good read. Sorry you didn't leave your name. If you're on Flickr, drop me a line.

    ReplyDelete