Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Church Of The Habs


Start Of The Third
Originally uploaded by *Bundy*
Whenever someone asks me what my religion is, I always answer with, "The Montreal Canadiens."

Of course that isn't completely accurate but the most successful NHL team is like a religion to me and the members of my immediate family. In fact, just recently I had a chance to visit my church (the Bell Centre) and take in a three period sermon on the ice.

As a life long Habs fans, my father and I had never seen the Canadiens play in Montreal. We never had a chance to see a game at the old Forum and until this occasion we'd never been to the new home to the winning-est team in NHL history.

We'd seen the Habs play in Toronto at Maple Leaf Gardens and the Air Canada Centre and we've even been to some Montreal games in Tampa Bay, the home of the Lightning.

But this was a special treat to finally watch our beloved Canadiens on home ice. It was a quick trip overall as we spent less than 24-hours in La Belle Province arriving by train. It was very cold as well which made walking around and seeing the city very difficult. I guess we'll have to visit again when the weather is nicer.

This trip however was all about seeing the Habs and the Bell Centre. Our hotel was only a block away so we ventured down early in the afternoon and braved the cold long enough to look at all of the plaques, statues, retired numbers and various other Canadiens items outside.

Later in the evening we returned to enjoy the game which was very entertaining even though Montreal lost to Carolina. Just being in the rink with the stands empty prior to the game was a special moment of quiet reflection. But to experience the atmosphere of a sold out Bell Centre with the NHL's most emotional, knowledgeable and boisterous fans was something to see and hear.

Being able to experience this with my dad was something special and even though the whole trip cost a pretty penny it was well worth it and I'd love to go again in the future. Preferably to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final.

No comments:

Post a Comment