Sunday, February 05, 2012

Greatest Super Bowl Performance

Today is Super Bowl XLVI between the New York Giants and the New England Patriots and I couldn't care less about it. That's not to say I'm not a football fan because I am but I'm not a fan of the Giants or Pats. My NFL teams of choice are the Chicago Bears and the Washington Redskins and they didn't even make the playoffs this year.

Now I do plan to watch the game because it's still the biggest game of the year, even if it might not be the best game of the year. But this isn't about football. For me as a music fan, the real spectacle and highlight usually comes at half time when in recent times the entertainment is provided by well known musical acts.

Some years are better than others and this year it's Madonna performing. I don't hate Madonna but I just don't see her as the right choice for the Super Bowl. But I'll watch it and make my assessment later. Maybe she'll surprise me.

To me the great entertainers of past Super Bowls were acts that own stadium shows. Bands like The Who, Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band, Prince and Michael Jackson.

When it comes down the worst performances, I can't help but single out the Black Eyed Peas, Christina Aguilera, Toni Braxton, Enrique Iglesias, Patti Labelle, Elvis Presto and the Winter Wonderland salute. Do a Google search for some of those performances if you don't believe me.

For me though, the absolute best and my most favourite performance at the Super Bowl came in 2002 at Super Bowl XXXVI when U2 took to the stage and not only gave a great performance but also an amazing tribute to all of the people who lost their lives during the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. Watching the seemingly endless list of names scroll up the screen behind the band was unbelievable but at the same time the exceptional playing of "Where the Street's Have No Name" was electric.

If you don't believe me, have a look at the video evidence below. Keep in mind, I'm a huge U2 fan from way back in my youth. I've also included my second favourite performance by Bruce Springsteen and the 1987 show for your enjoyment.






1 comment:

  1. OK, you have to admit that wasn't a very good halftime show by Madonna. Lots of flash but very little substance. I'm just glad she didn't have a wardrobe malfunction. That would have scarred me for life I'm sure.

    Not the worst performance ever but a long way from the best in my opinion. I still like her earlier music though.

    ReplyDelete