Friday, April 13, 2012

Sorry We Suck


If I were a Toronto Maple Leafs fan I would be embarrassed. Not by the pitiful results the team has posted 8 years in a row (45 years since the last championship), or the way they constantly collapse down the stretch year after year or by their inconsistent goaltending, defense or lack of depth up front, but by the way the Leafs management and ownership thinks an apology makes up for their ineptitude.

It’s baffling to me how a once proud and powerful National Hockey League franchise can fall into such disrepair and disarray. It’s even more perplexing how Larry Tannenbaum and his rich and powerful senior staff can arrive at the idea that an apology in the local media will smooth things over.

Of course, I’m not even remotely a Toronto fan. I’m as far from it as is humanly possible. I’m a die-hard, red, white and blue, poutine eating, “ole ole” and “nah nah hey hey” singing Montreal Canadiens fan. But that doesn’t mean I can’t sympathize with Leafs fans, several of which I consider good friends.

I just sat through one of the worst seasons in Montreal history with management issues, coaching issues, player issues and poor results on the ice. As bad as it was, I’d still take the Habs over the Leafs any day. Montreal is trying to make moves to solve the problems of missing only one year of the playoffs. The GM is gone, the coach was fired mid-season and the interim coach will likely be let go as well. Add to that an assurance from the ownership that they’re committed to restoring the storied franchise to its rightful place among the league’s elite teams and I’m satisfied that they’re making an effort at least. I just hope it leads to results.

But what are they doing in Toronto? Yes they fired the coach and as much as I dislike Ron Wilson, the mess they’re in was hardly his fault. The Leafs this season were great guys but aside from maybe a handful of players, the rest were not skilled enough to succeed on a consistent basis. Sure they had good nights but those games were few and far between.

So who’s to blame? Is it bad scouting and drafting? Is GM Brian Burke, the architect of the team to blame? I don’t claim to be an expert but I think these are the two main issues with the Leafs.

Brian Burke
I am amazed that Brian Burke still has a key to the Air Canada Centre. The ultimate blame has to fall on him. This is his team and while they haven’t drafted well, with the amount of money behind this team, it amazes me that they can’t draw more skilled free agents or make trades to improve their situation. Let’s be honest, the deal for Phil Kessel looked bad when Burke made it and it looks even worse today. The picks they lost in that one deal were huge. I’m not saying Kessel isn’t a skilled player but he’s not worth the price they paid for him. But that’s old news and what’s done is done.

Toronto has to move on and right the ship before their fans finally come to their senses and revolt.  Its one thing to go to the games and “boo” the players but it’s another thing entirely to stop buying tickets, merchandise and lining the pockets of the owners Bell and Rogers who were smart for buying this franchise. They knew that no matter how much they sucked or how little they had to spend on the team, the cash was going to keep flowing in just as much as it would if they had a Stanley Cup contender.

At what point will the fans finally stop saying, “I support my team in good times and bad”? I appreciate the value of loyalty and not wanting to abandon your team but at some point you have to ask yourself, what are they doing to warrant my support and money? The relationship between the fan and the team is “give and take” and with Toronto the fans are giving everything and the Leafs ownership is gladly taking every dollar they can.

Obviously at this point the Leafs faithful are in it for the long haul or they would have done something besides bitch and moan by now. It would seem that they’re quite prepared to continue bending over and taking it from their beloved blue and white- jerseyed heroes. One thing is certain, unlike a lot of other fans in the league, Toronto supporters will be satisfied with one day making the Playoffs; while those other team’s fans expect and demand nothing less than a chance to celebrate with Lord Stanley’s Cup.

1967 Stanley Cup Champions
 

No comments:

Post a Comment