Thursday, July 31, 2008

No More Buses for Me

Normally I like to keep my blog light-hearted, amusing and topical but today I’m afraid it will only be the last of the three with a little disturbing and mind-boggling thrown in.

If you’ve been anywhere near a newspaper or heard the news on TV or radio in the 24 hours or so then you’ve heard about this story that is making headlines around the world.

If you find yourself wondering why I bothered to write anything about this incident, this is just me trying to come to grips with what happened and convince myself that this really took place. I still can’t believe it.

The video below from CTV gives a fairly accurate description of what transpired so I won't rehash the details. If you don't know what happened, have a look at the video to bring yourself up to speed.

There are eyewitness accounts that say the attacker after decapitating the victim, carried the severed head to the front of the bus and dropped it on the ground in front of the witnesses. Am I crazy to be stunned by this. It shocks me to imagine and to realize that this is happening in Canada. I think that is probably what baffles me the most. I just can’t grasp that something like this could happen here.

This is a story that you know there has to be more to it. The attacker was either mentally disturbed or something happened to set him off. Nobody in their right mind would ever do such a thing.

One police Staff Sgt. was quoted as saying, “It’s not something that regularly happens on a bus.” Really?!?! No Shit Sherlock!! Especially in Canada!

I’m not trying to say that Canada is all rainbows and gumdrops and a place where crime doesn’t exist and evil people don’t dwell. Sadly we have our share of murderers, rapists, pedophiles, gangs, drug dealers and everything else you might find in other countries. It just isn’t always to that extreme.

This incident I would class as extreme. I’d also call it odd, weird, sick, disgusting, a waste and many other words to describe how horrible this is.

I try to imagine what it will be like for the family of the victim and how they will cope and come to terms with the loss of their loved one in such a horrendous, disturbing and senseless manner.

At this point there are so many questions yet to be answered; the biggest of which has to be “why?”

No comments:

Post a Comment