Saturday, March 21, 2009

Top Ten 80's Teen Movies

I was trying to think of movies that have been released in recent years and wondering which one's if any would be considered "teen movies". I'm sure there have been plenty but I guess since I'm older I don't relate to them anymore or recognize them as easily.

Some of the more recent teen movies might include "Mean Girls", "Bring It On", "Euro Trip", High School Musical, Juno and the American Pie series to name a few. The original American Pie is about the only one that I'd consider a possible classic teen movie but the others just don't seem to have that "something" that sets them apart from any other movie.

The 1980's was different. There were plenty of great and soon to be classic teen movies that came from that time. So what exactly is a teen movie?

The teen movie is a film genre targeted at teenagers and young adults in which the plot is based upon the special interests of teenagers, such as coming of age, first love, rebellion, conflict with parents, teen angst and alienation. Often these normally serious subject matters are presented in a glossy, stereotyped or trivialized way. Films in this genre are often set in high schools, or contain characters that are of high school age. Sexual themes are also common, as are nudity and crude forms of humour.

I have some great memories of the 1980's as those were my teen years and of course I have some personal favourite choices for movies that would rank among the best teen movie for that time period. When I sat down and made a list of movies that could be on my list, I was surprised with the number of flicks I came up with.

Before we get to my list, here are a few that didn't quite make the cut but came close. These would include: All The Right Moves, The Karate Kid, Lucus, The Outsiders, Red Dawn and Pretty In Pink.

So this begs the question...what would make the Top 10 if those didn't? Here is your answer.

Remember, these are my personal choices and you may not agree with some or all of them. Feel free to leave a comment if you think I missed one.

No comments:

Post a Comment