Sunday, September 13, 2009

Leaf Fans Annoy Me

I have many friends who are Toronto Maple Leaf hockey fans and despite that, I will still talk to them.

Of course I'm kidding. I don't have a problem with most of them but I find that a lot of them like to talk trash about other teams...especially the Montreal Canadiens and the Ottawa Senators.

It doesn't surprise me that they dislike those teams since they're in the same division and have big rivalries.
What shocks me is how cocky Leaf fans are when you consider how unimpressive their team has been since...well, since before I was born.

In fact, the last time the Leafs won the Stanley Cup was in 1967...one year before I came along. They don't ev
en have colour photos or video of them winning their last cup, that's how long ago it was.

OK, it's too easy to pick on Leaf fans and their teams impressive record of futility. If they keep on the same losing track, they could eventually surpass the 100 year title drought of the Chicago Cubs in baseball.


What annoys me the most are the idiotic Maple Leaf fans who have the audacity to try and make fun of fans of other teams. It's one thing to be a winner and rub it in but how can you possibly make fun of other fans when your team hasn't done anything good in 42 years?


I'd be embarrased to continue supporting a team with owners who have made it quite obvious they'd rather collect the endless supply of money from their dumb fans then make an effort to actually win. Heck...forget winning, how about they just try and get enough good players to make the playoffs once in a while.

Say what you want about Montreal fans but their owners, management and players know that they better produce or they'll feel their wrath. They demand a winning team and they usually get one. Sure they haven't won a cup since 1993 but they usually make the playoffs.

Actually, I have colour photos of the Habs hoisting the cup. How many Leaf fans can say that. I've seen the Habs win nine Stanley Cups and that's not including the one they took home the year I was born.


So my advice to Leaf fans is shut the hell up! Until you actually win something or make the playoffs you have no reason to feel cocky enough to beak off. The good news is the season will be starting soon and after a few games, Leaf fans will once again be able to start talking about next season.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:41 am

    It's because of you annoying and cocky Hab fans who think the holy grail belongs to you that makes leafs fans hate those fans who continually bash us Leaf fans. The leafs may not have won a cup in forty years but we still continue to support and love the team we grew up with. When was the last time you saw an empty Air Canada Centre or Maple Leaf Gardens because the Leafs suck? "Never" because we support our team without having to demand that they win every year and understand that reality and boo our best players like the Hab fans do every year when things aren't going there own way. Boo Whoo...
    Mark, if you are going to write on your blog about hating Leaf fans, stop sending me your link. It's comments like those that shows me that you like to throw stones when you live in a glass house. If you think you're better than Leaf fans, think again. Whether or not Montreal has won the cup several times since the Leafs last won makes no difference when it comes to being a true sports fan, in this case Hockey. Would I like to see the Leafs win the cup and compete every year, definitely. Do you and other Hab fans enjoy watching your team compete most years in the playoffs, definitely, just stop mocking Leaf and other team's fans. Bye the way, there is another team that has gone longer than the Leafs without winning the Stanley Cup - Chicago. More than ever, I'd like to the Leafs pound Montreal into sumission and have Grabovski score hat tricks in every game he plays Montreal. I can hear the booing from the hab fans already.... let the season begin.
    John
    Newmarket

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.

    I don't believe I actually said I "hate" Leaf fans...just that they annoy me.

    I will admit part of my reason for writing this was to see what responses I would get from Leaf fans. It's fun to stir the pot from time to time and see who might be willing to share their own thoughts. When I was on the radio we were told "if you're not getting a response, you're not doing a good job."

    Truth be told...I'm a hockey fan first and a Habs fan second. When the playoffs roll around each year, I cheer for all of the Canadian teams and would have no trouble throwing my support behind the Leafs should they find their way back into the post season.

    However, Saturday night I was at my year-end golf wrap-up and the Leaf fans in attendance were giving my Habs a continual good bashing (mainly about all of the small guys they have on the team this season). The jokes kept coming in waves for at least an hour and I had no problem laughing along with them.

    Later, I recalled what I heard a Junior Hockey coach tell his team one time on the bench. They were losing badly and his players were still trash talking the other team. The coach leaned over and told them to shut-up. He said when you start winning then you earn the right to rub it in but right now you just sound stupid.

    So I wasn't really putting Leaf fans down for supporting their team...instead I was just reminding them that they really don't have much recent history supporting them in their endeavour to bash other fans.

    Not even I can deny how well the Leaf fans support their team each year. I do recall going to some games during the Harold Ballard years and hearing plenty of "boos" from the crowd. I was even at a game one time in the 80's when it got so bad, Chris Kotsopoulos came to the bench and in a loud and clear voice yelled at the fans, "Go f**k yourself!" I still remember that to this day.

    What I write is always my opinion and I will always allow commenting to remain open for those who feel differently to voice their opinions as well. I hope you'll continue to visit my blog and challenge me when I say something you don't agree with.

    Thanks again for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete