Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Lets Drop The Puck Already!

It has returned once again. The National Hockey League is set to start another season long quest to drink from Lord Stanley's Cup.

Thursday the NHL 09-10 season will kick off with four games but only one will really matter in my mind as the Toronto Maple Leafs will host my Montreal Canadiens on Hockey Night in Canada on CBC.

I think Montreal will have a good team this season but not a great one and will struggle to make the playoffs. I'm hoping I'm wrong about that but that's just what my gut tells me.

I also think this could be the year Toronto finds their way back into the post season...as much as it pains me to say that. I feel for the long suffering Toronto fans though. I can't imagine what that feels like.


So I suppose I should make my picks official right now. What teams will make it to the Stanley Cup final this season?

I have to pick Detroit and Boston to meet in the Stanley Cup Final with Detroit winning. It's tough to get to the final three years in a row but I think the Red Wings have what it takes to do it again. Boston was a tough choice for me over Pittsburgh returning but I liked what I saw last season and I think the Bruins will make that next step. Of course the San Jose Sharks blew it in the Playoffs last season and could get there as well. It's really a four team race in my mind but I'll stick with the Wings and Bruins. And as a Habs fan that isn't easy for me to say.


My dark horse pick to win the Cup is Vancouver. I think they have the best chance of any Canadian team to bring the cup north for the first time since Montreal won it last during the 92-93 season.

Now, lets stock the fridge, buy the snacks, iron our hockey sweaters, prepare for Don Cherry's bashing of all things non-Canadian (I love him for that) and re-form our ass print on the chesterfield because it's time to drop the puck.

Still not in the mood yet? Perhaps this will get the adrenaline flowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment