Monday, September 14, 2009

Patrick Swayze Passes Away

I must admit I wasn't a huge fan of Patrick Swayze who passed away today after a courageous battle against cancer. He was 57.

Swayze will likely be remembered most for his roles in movies like Dirty Dancing, Ghost and Road House.


I on the other hand will remember him for a few other roles. In The Outsiders he played Darrel Curtis, a father figure to a group of rebel greaser boys. One of my favourite movies as a youth of the 80's was Red Dawn in 1984. In this movie Swayze played Jed, the leader of a group of high school kids who become freedom fighters following the invasion of the United States by Russia at the beginning of WWIII. The movie also starred Jennifer Grey who would co-star with Patrick three years later in Dirty Dancing.


The role I think I'll remember him best for was during a brief appearance on Saturday Night Live where he starred along side the late Chris Farley in one of the funniest sketches I had ever seen. Patrick played the straight man to Farley as the two auditioned to be Chippendale Dancers.


Enjoy


No comments:

Post a Comment