Thursday, June 03, 2010

The Choice Is Hers

There are a few topics that evoke passionate beliefs and often times anger. Abortion is certainly one of those subjects. It’s a huge topic that can’t be covered completely, especially by me but there’s nothing wrong with some discussion.

Being a man I’ll never be forced to make a decision on whether to terminate a pregnancy or to go to term. My biggest concerns are usually centered around deciding on chicken or beef for supper.

This doesn’t mean I don’t have an opinion on the subject. I am pro choice. A woman has the right to decide what to do with her body. I believe that if I were a woman and I became pregnant, nobody should be allowed to tell me what I can or cannot do with my body. I’m not going to get into the debate about at what point a fetus becomes a life. That can be discussed another time.

Now, before the anti-abortion activists and supporters jump all over me, allow me to elaborate. I’m sure what I say won’t make a difference but at least I’m being honest and forthcoming.

That’s right folks…we interrupt my usually light-hearted and laid back blog for some seriousness once again.

When I think of the ways a woman can conceive I come up with voluntarily, accidentally and forcefully.

Voluntarily would be when a woman lays down with a man and knowingly has unprotected sex that results in pregnancy. The intent to conceive was there and the resulting outcome was expected. In a case like this, I still believe a woman has the right to choose if she wants to remain pregnant. Depending on the circumstances (health issues or dangers to the mother) an abortion may be necessary. I’d like to think that if a woman in this situation can carry the baby to term that she would do so. I think in most cases this does happen.

Accidentally is when a woman has sex with a man but doesn’t expect to get pregnant. Perhaps the chosen method of birth control didn’t work but no matter the reason, the outcome was unexpected. As someone who is pro choice I see no problem with the woman aborting the pregnancy if that is what she wants.

Lets be honest, when I drive through my town, there are a lot of unfit mothers pushing strollers. I see these young women hanging out at the local Tim Hortons parking lot at 11pm or later with their child in a stroller. This is not a proper way to raise a child. What kind of an upbringing will this kid have? The point is there are a lot of women who have kids and they aren’t mentally equipped to deal with the responsibility let alone financially. Adoption would have likely been a better choice for these kids. Sometimes love isn’t enough to raise a child. Of course when the government hands these girls a cheque each month per child, that’s all the incentive they need to keep reproducing.

If a woman accidentally becomes pregnant and knows that there is no way she can properly care for and raise a child then her choices are abortion or adoption. Either choice is fine with me.

Forcefully is obviously as a result of being given no choice in having sex with a man with the outcome being the same. This may happen as a product of rape. The factors surrounding the rape are not vital. If a woman is forced to have sex against her will, drugged or under the influence of alcohol and proper consent is not attained, then that is rape.

I can’t imagine any woman wanting to carry her rapists’ baby to full term. That’s not to say it hasn’t happened before because I know religion plays a huge factor in the decisions surrounding child birth for many. I was hoping to keep religion out of this but the fact is abortion is a no-no with some faiths. That’s fine if that’s what you believe but if a woman doesn’t follow that religion, her rights as a human are just as important and he beliefs and decisions should be based on her choices and not some other religious group or organization. What makes your beliefs more important than hers?

As an example, if one religion believed that anyone over the age of 50 should be euthanized to decrease the population and to lessen the strain on our society, does that mean that everyone should be forced to follow their thinking?

Having said all of that, I would much rather have a woman give birth than have an abortion but rarely is it that simple. For me, having the choice is important and significant and a right as a human being. Nobody has a right to tell me what I can and can’t do with my body so why should abortion be any different.

There’s nothing wrong with education. As an example, in Oklahoma, a woman seeking an abortion will have to undergo an ultrasound at least one hour before having the procedure. She must listen as the doctor describes the fetus’s organs, lungs and heartbeat, even in cases of incest and rape. This may deter some women from continuing with the procedure but even if they do go ahead with the abortion; at least they do so with some knowledge.

It is my personal belief that the government, religious groups and other organizations should mind their own business. What may be good for them may not be good for others and if a woman wants to have an abortion, it’s her choice and nobody else’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment