Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Hockey Traditions Disappearing

There’s something about the new hockey arena’s being built or that have been built in recent years around the NHL that just lack that "special" quality.

Oh sure, they’re big, clean and impressive and will seat a lot more people than the old rinks but they all look the same more or less. There’s nothing that sets them apart or gives them a unique appearance.

I’m not talking about the bricks and mortar so much as I am the atmosphere and even the oddities or history of the old barns.

For the record, I’ve only been in a few different NHL arenas over the years. I’ve been to both Maple Leaf Gardens and Air Canada Centre in Toronto and the Ice Palace in Tampa. I think the last time I was there it had been renamed the St. Petersburg Times Forum.

That’s right…I’m a die-hard life-long Montreal Canadiens fan and I’ve never been to the old Forum or the Bell Centre. It’s not that I wouldn’t like to but getting tickets is damn near impossible. I’d love to get my dad there once to see a game.

I guess what I’m hinting at is when you walk into the new arenas you just don’t feel the history or see anything different. Sure the Stanley Cup banners and retired numbers hang from the rafters to show the history of a franchise but the buildings have lost their charm. It’s kind of like how you’d feel walking into Fenway Park in Boston or Wrigley Field in Chicago. There’s a history there and you can imagine the old players from the past running out on to the field.

The Forum used to have the fence to separate the upper class from the cheap seats. I’m not suggesting that was a good thing but it certainly was different. In Boston the old Gardens used to have views of the ice obstructed by support beams. Not a fun spot to be sitting but still part of the charm. Of course who can forget the “Bunker” in Maple Leaf Gardens where Harold Ballard used to sit with former players? You don’t see that anymore with owners now sitting in luxury boxes high above the ice. Toronto stunk through those Ballard years but the old Gardens had some historic charm. In the photo shown you can see the bunker being taken apart and the stairs that lead up to it.

Even though I wasn’t a fan of the Leafs I can remember my last time going to a game there. It was the final meeting between the Leafs and Montreal before it closed. I got there early and walked the halls looking at the old black and white photos. I stopped and talked to Ron MacLean of Hockey Night in Canada for five minutes. I had interviewed and met Ron on my radio show a few weeks earlier and he made time to chat. Walking out into the seating area and looking up at the old rafters and building you felt the history. Prior to the game Ted "Teeder" Kennedy and Maurice “Rocket” Richard were introduced for the ceremonial face off and the standing ovation lasted for what seemed like 10 to 15 minutes. It was a special moment.

The two places that I know of that have attempted to keep the past alive are Chicago and Philadelphia. In Philly the Flyers during the playoffs will show video of the late Kate Smith singing God Bless America. It isn’t something you can see or feel when you walk into the arena but for those who are old enough to remember Kate when she was alive and hearing her sing, it brings back memories and gives you chills. In Chicago the one thing that made going to the Stadium a treat was hearing the booming organ playing. It was loud and shook the rafters. They didn't move the old organ to the new rink but a new one still helps to keep that original atmosphere and gets the crowd cheering. By the way, the old organ is now in someone's residence in Las Vegas.

I suppose long after I’m gone, the younger generation will probably look at these new arenas with the same sense of history but with the original six team league now a distant memory, the old barns just helped to keep some of the history and charm in the hockey experience.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:56 am

    Could you have at least spelled Ron's name right...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry your highness! I guess my editor was having a bad day. Just so you know he's been fired.

    Other than the spelling mistake, I guess you agreed with everything else.

    ReplyDelete