Friday, October 08, 2010

Scary Movies For Halloween

The month of October is associated with many things. The baseball playoffs, football, leaves changing colours, Thanksgiving (in Canada) and Halloween. And what goes along with Halloween…scary movies of course.

This started me thinking about what movies I thought were frightening. It seems what was considered scary when I was a kid isn’t thought to be as terrifying by today’s kids. I suppose the same can be said about me with my dad’s generation.

My father has told me the story of him going to the movie theatre as a young lad and being scared while watching Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein. By today’s standards, or even 70’s & 80’s standards, that movie isn’t creepy at all but at the time it probably kept kids up at night.

Of course during my youth and even as a younger adult I enjoyed the odd chilling flick from time to time, although it isn’t my favourite genre.

I decided to give it some thought and I’ve come up with my personal list of scary movies of all-time. Some are full-fledged horror movies while others are more suspense flicks that kept me on the edge of my seat. Oddly enough, as scary and creepy as it was, Weekend at Bernie’s didn’t make my list.

Bundy’s Top Ten Scary Movies

10 – The Mist (2007)
Stephen King isn't the master of horror for no reason. Never has a foggy day been more terrifying. The ending alone was worth the ride. Well, the ride wasn't great for some.










9 – The Shining (1980)
This movie freaked me out and when you add in a Jack Nicholson's "Here's Johnny" or "All work and no play" lines, it made for a great movie. Oh ya, another movie based on a Stephen King novel.









8 – The Ring (2002)
I dare you to watch this movie and then pick up the phone when it rings. I bet you can't. Of course having the beautiful Naomi Watts starring in the movie helped to ease my suffering.









7 – Psycho (1960)
Norman Bates taught me to never stay at a family run motel or leave the door unlocked when taking a shower. Just ask Janet Leigh. Alfred Hitchcock set the bar high and is rarely topped.










6 – The Thing (1982)
As a youngster watching this movie, I was terrified. The film follows a crew stationed at an Antarctic base stalked by a shape-shifting alien. The guys head that sprouts legs was a bit unnerving.









5 – Silence of the Lambs (1991)
I don’t know what terrified me more…the cannibalism or never agreeing to put lotion on when asked to by a psychopath. If I didn't like eating liver before I watched this movie, I certainly woulnd't want to eat it after.








4 – Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
I still remember watching this movie in the theatre as a teen and not wanting to go to sleep that night. Freddy might have come for me with his metal knife claws. This was no Edward Scissorhands. Wes Craven at his best.







3 – Alien (1979)
I’ve had an upset stomach before but nothing has ripped open my belly from the inside…yet. Do you think they have problems like this on the International Space Station and they just don't tell us?









2 – Jaws (1975)
This movie kept us from going in the water all summer in 1975. My dad assured me there were no fresh water sharks in Canada. It also produced one of the best lines in movie history, “We’re gonna need a bigger boat.”








And my Number 1 Scary Movie of All-Time…



1 – Exorcist (1973)
I thought I was having a bad day until I saw that poor girls head spinning, the vomit and Priests freaking out. Of course I watched it all from under my blanket. Pea soup anyone?

So there you go, my choices for scariest movies of all time. Enjoy the movies!

2 comments:

  1. Nice list Bundy I agree with pretty much all of them that I have seen. I can't watch the Exorcist again though, just can't. I would add a few more that maybe you haven't seen: Suspiria; Frailty; Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original); The Changling

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill S.9:50 am

    I sued to enjoy horror movies in my earlier days. They were my favourites after SF flicks. Of your list of top 10 I have seen 5.
    After seeing Alien with Sigourney Weaver she has become my favourite actress. But I do sometimes forget her first name. Oh well, "Sig" will do.
    Since I am not much of a movie watcher I suppose I will likely not see the other. Except maybe in my second childhood. Ooops, I'm already there! Sigh!!!

    ReplyDelete