Saturday, October 02, 2010

They're Only Boobs!

Why in this day and age is breastfeeding in public still such a taboo thing for some people?

There aren’t many things more natural than a mother allowing her child to quash those hunger pains by latching on to the homemade milk makers. Yet some people, or prudes as I like to call them, seem to think this is an activity that should only take place behind closed doors.

The majority of the time, you can’t see anything anyway, and believe me, I’ve tried. Of course I’m kidding because lets be honest, there’s nothing sexy or (pardon the pun) titillating in that situation. I’ve seen more skin and nipples protruding on the beach or just walking down the street. And even if you could see a nipple, is it really that big of a deal? I have nipples and in some cases, my boobs are bigger than some women’s, not that I’m proud of that.

Recently a woman in North Carolina was asked by a co-owner of a coffee shop to cover up while breastfeeding her baby. It wasn’t as if she removed her clothes in the store and let the kid suck away. As the woman described, “her head is covering whatever was open. I can’t imagine that anyone could see any skin…certainly not as much as what some of the teenagers run around in.” Even the popular social-networking website Facebook banned images of breastfeeding moms back in 2008.

OK, I’m not naïve. I realize that women’s breasts for whatever reason are a sexual lightning bolt for men. I myself have been known to look at the chest of a lady or two prior to making eye contact, although I wouldn’t technically call myself a “boob man.” Men don’t have them so obviously we’re fascinated by them but we’re also mature enough, I would think, to separate the sexual side from the functional side.

Not only is it natural but it’s also healthy for the child. According to the World Health Organization, Breastfeeding is the best source of nourishment for infants as it contains antibodies that help protect babies from common childhood illnesses, including diarrhea and pneumonia, the two primary causes of child mortality worldwide. It also reduces the risks of breast and ovarian cancer later in life while helping women return to their pre-pregnancy weight faster.

The WHO also says adults who were breastfed as babies often have lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels, as well as lower rates of obesity. Obviously I wasn’t breastfed as a child or not enough. I made up for it by eating a lot more in the years to follow.

So I say, don’t stare, sneer or complain when you see a woman breastfeeding her child in public. Let’s commend them for being good mothers and encourage others to feel comfortable enough to do the same. We need to embrace the breast and squeeze out those who are against it. I for one would like to see the day when young mothers can flop out in the food court at the mall when Junior gets hungry without feeling ashamed or fearing criticism. That’s the world I want to be a part of.

1 comment:

  1. Bill S.7:58 pm

    Well, you can always count on someone against anything or protesting against something no matter what it is. Must be part of human nature.

    ReplyDelete