Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Are Olympic Mascots Canadian?


Earlier today the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics committee revealed the mascots for the big event. When I first saw them my initial thought was..."When did they decide to move the Olympics to Japan?"

Just like the original Vancouver Olympics symbol that was introduced a year or so ago, I have to wonder what people were thinking. Sure these new guys are kind of cute and I'm betting the kids will just love them and will be begging their parents to buy them; which is probably what organizers are hoping for; but does anyone look at them and say..."ahhh...they must be the Canadian Olympic mascots!" I doubt it very much.

Lets examine them shall we. First we have Quatchi the first Sasquatch in history to make an appearance before human beings. This brown furball is said to come from the mountains of B.C. and has a love for hockey. Yes...it's a well known fact that all Bigfoot creatures can be found on the frozen lakes and ponds of the west coast playing shinny. They say Quatchi reminds us of the mystery and wonder associated with the great Canadian wilderness. If you ask me, he reminds me of what a bear might look like after wrestling with an electric fence.

Next is Miga the Sea Bear. Perhaps we should ask Captain Hiliner how many sea bears he's come across in all his years on the sea. Have you ever seen a sea bear Billy? I'm guessing no. As the back story goes, Miga is inspired by the legends of the Pacific Northwest First Nations - tales of orca whales that transform into bears when they arrive on land. Part Spirit Bear, a rare white bear unique to BC, Miga’s outgoing spirit and high energy draw her to action and adventure. Aaahhh....OK.

Finally it's Sumi the unknown creature. Honestly what the heck is it? According to the VANOC, Sumi is an animal spirit who wears the hat of the orca whale, flies with the wings of the mighty thunderbird and runs on the furry legs of the black bear. With a name that is derived from the Salish word ’sumesh,’ meaning ‘guardian spirit,’ Sumi is passionate about the environment and is a fan of all Paralympic sports. Of course he or she or it is. They don't need to tell us that because it's so obvious.

Is it just me or do these mascots look more like something you'd see on a Saturday morning cartoon that's produced in Japan with the English language dubbed over the original voices? And don't even get me started on the names which once again seem more foreign then Canadian. Of course, if you've been to Vancouver in the last 20 years you'd think you were probably in Hong Kong any way. Why else do they refer to it as "Hongcouver"?

I don't want to sound anti-aboriginal either because I'm not but it just seems like sometimes organizers of Canadian events such as the Olympics or a World Championship of some kind go out of their way to include an aboriginal theme. We all know the reason why as well. If they don't then all we'll read in the news or hear from tribal leaders is how they were slighted by organizers. So to avoid this problem they make sure they are not forgotten. I just had to vent on that for a moment.

Back to the mascots. When you ask people around the world or other Canadians what they think of when someone might suggest mascots for a Canadian Olympics I'm sure they wouldn't come up with any of these new ideas. Nothing wrong with change but they just don't scream Canada to me.

I guess when you're paying people millions of dollars to create a mascot they can't come back with a moose or beaver. Nobody's going to buy those I guess. Heck I would have even liked to see something based on Ogopogo the legendary creature located in Lake Okanagan. At least most Canadians have heard of it.

I say get rid of Sumi at least and bring in an Ogopogo character that the Canadian adult public can relate to. The kids can still have their Quatchi and Miga.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:14 pm

    I AGREE WITH U BUNDY. BRING BACK THE MOOSE AND THE BEAVER! WHAT ABOUT THE MOUNTIES? NOTHING AGAINST MINORITIES. BUT WHY CANT THEY LEARN THAT THEY R PART OF A BIGGER PICTURE? AND THAT A COUNTRYS IDENTITY LIES WITHIN THE MAYORITY? WHERE IS PATRIOTISM?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:53 pm

    As a typical white Canadian who grew up in Cape Breton Nova Scotia, I find your attitude narrow minded and outdated.

    I'm proud of our multi-cultural history, and I feel that giving the Canadian First Nations & Aboriginals this moment to share their culture on the global stage, at a time when they REALLY NEED IT, to be perfectly acceptable.

    The moose, beaver & mounties don't have the highest suicide rate in Canada, everyone knows who they are.

    The least we can do is share the limelight. I'm proud of how well Canada's doing at the Olympics, and I'm super psyched to see athletes like Montgomery show their raw Canadian spirit with his impromptu beer auctions.

    We're getting the best of both worlds here, multi-cultural awareness & traditional Canadian pride.

    Get over it, it's the 21st century dude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll assume you were directing your comments at me. I was born and raised in Canada and have been proud if it for over 40 years and counting. I have nothing against minorities and the native people as a whole, although some individuals really get under my skin at times with their actions. Of course I can say the same about whites, who by the way are quickly becoming the minority.

    My problem is with how our politicians and people in charge of events such as the Olympics always seem to cater to them. Now, having said that, I don't think we should ignore them either and for the most part, I think the balance during the opening and closing ceremonies was handled well.

    I can embrace the culture of the native people, I just prefer to not have it shoved down my throat at every opportunity.

    I was extremely proud of our athletes as well during the winter games.

    Thanks for your opinion but I have mine and plan to stick to it, even if you consider it to be narrow-minded. It is after all, my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and I decided not to post your last comment as I don't think name calling is necessary and to be honest it didn't really contribute much.

    I'm always willing to defend my writings and converse cordially but not when someone stoops to that level of rudeness. It is quite revealing about the type of person you portray yourself to be.

    I certainly don't think my reply warranted such a harsh and offensive response. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on my views.

    Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog anonymous reader.

    ReplyDelete