Sunday, November 25, 2007

Tis The Season

If the cold weather wasn't proof enough then today's Santa Claus Parade in my hometown was a sure sign that Christmas is quickly approaching.

I hadn't attended the annual parade in a few years but I decided to go check out this years event and I must say I wasn't disappointed.

Aside from the usual bands and floats I was eager to see Santa this year. I mean who doesn't love Santa? He's jolly and happy and brings lots of gifts. The bonus this time around was the fact that my dad was playing the part.

It seems the usual gent who wears the red suit for the annual event had a mishap a couple weeks ago and was unable to fulfill his yearly duties. So he contacted my dad who filled in and did an admirable job.

As far as the parade goes, it was easily one of the best I've seen in this city in quite some time. The night time parades are always more interesting with all of the lights but there was a lot of effort put into the floats this year. I've seen some parades in the past where all it is is one long commercial ad for local merchants who enter their company vehicles and tie a few bows on it to give the impression of effort. But that wasn't the case this time around and everyone is to be commended for a job well done...even Santa.

Bonus Info:

This has to be one of the most insane things I've ever read.

In Australia, Santa's are being asked to say
"Ha Ha Ha" instead of the traditional "Ho Ho Ho". The powers that be feel saying it could 'frighten' children and it the Santa recruiting firm feels it's derogatory to women. They say it's too close to the North American slang for 'Prostitute'.

Thankfully most Santa's are not following their orders and rebelling against this nonsense. I think this falls under the category, "Aren't their worse things to worry about?"

No comments:

Post a Comment