Wednesday, June 03, 2009

News Oddities

It's amazing how much stupidity there is in the world. From politicians to just your average every day schmucks, the number of people out of touch or just plain out of it never ceases to amaze me. Here are a few stories that you might find amusing. I know I did.

Freddy Lives...Or Not
The Mayor of Zagreb has called for Freddie Mercury to make a comeback gig in the Croatian capital.

Speaking on national television about his musical preferences, Milan Bandic said he wanted to attract rock legends to the city. "I would like to see David Bowie play in Zagreb. And Freddie Mercury could come, too," he said.

Mayor Bandic reportedly seemed shocked to be told that the Queen frontman had died 18 years ago.


The mistake caused shock among many Croatians but Bandic himself shrugged off the gaffe.

Look Before You Eat
A hospital visitor went straight to Emergency after he bit into a cafeteria sandwich - with a dead lizard inside it.

Medics gave him Giuseppe Ferri the all clear at Maceretta hospital, in central Italy, but have launched an investigation into the snack horror.

Ferri said afterward: "I bit into what was supposed to be a cheese and tomato sandwich and was surprised when I tasted something a bit meaty and chewy. I looked down and saw a lizard tail sticking out of the side of the sandwich. I opened it up and saw the dead animal and nearly passed out. It was so disgusting I felt sick."


Caterers say the reptile must have fallen into the machinery at the factory that prepared the sandwiches for the health authority.


Don't Believe Your GPS
A motorist was charged with careless driving after he nearly followed his GPS over the edge of a cliff.

Robert Jones, 43, followed the device as he headed for a friend's house even when it began taking him up a steep, rocky footpath. He finally realised something was seriously wrong when his BMW hit a fence just inches from a 100 foot drop.

Mr Jones said: "I just trusted the GPS. It kept insisting that the path was a road even as it was getting narrower and steeper. I rely on my GPS, I couldn't do without it for my job. I guess I'm lucky the car didn't slip all the way over the edge. But it has been a bit of a nightmare."

It took nine hours for a recovery team to haul the BMW away from the cliff edge. Police confirmed Mr Jones had been charged. A spokesman said: "Nobody was hurt. But when someone nearly drives off a cliff that shows a lack of care which needs to be investigated."

It's stories like these that always make me feel a little better. It's nice to know that even when I might have a bad day or screw something up, there's always someone out there who can still make me look like a genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment