Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Swanee How I Love Ya

I was out to the campground the other day with my camera in hand. I haven't been too motivated photography wise lately and was having another so-so day with little to show for my time.

I pulled into one of my favourite areas where I'll spot the odd gem of a shot from time to time and low-and-behold I found something kind of nice.

This family of Mute Swans were making their way across the water to their nesting area. They were feeding as they went. I didn't have much time because they were moving further away from me but I did manage to get this shot.

One adult and six cygnets can be seen here and the other adult was just out of the frame to the right. They are cute little birds when they're young and fluffy but they will grow to be large and quite aggressive.

Not to put a downer on this tender moment but one of the young cygnets natural enemies is turtles and is not uncommon to see the young birds nabbed from below and pulled under water. Last year I watched a family of seven become a family of 2 in the marsh. It's the circle of life I guess.

Family of Swans

No comments:

Post a Comment